Comparitor Power Source Question

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've almost got everything working for my penny sorter, but I'm having issues with the comparitor. I have another one that I bought with the PS already intact for my other sorter, and my new sorter works with that PS just fine. However, when I wired it up with my new adapter, as soon as it makes a match (im using a Zinc to compare, so as soon as I drop another Zinc in it) the trap opens and won't shut until I kill the power. Again, it works just fine with the other adapter.

Both of the adapters I'm using are 12V, but one is 12V with 1A (the one that seems to work) while the other is 12V with 150mA. They are the exact same comparitor.

Comparitor Power.jpg

I've wired 1 & 8 to the "hot" (non-striped wire) and 2 to the striped-wire. I thought I might have reversed the polarity or something, but I've tried every other combo of wires and that is the only one that works at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome, in testing this power supply I think I might have fried both of my comparitors. I checked to see if it would work on the other one, and now they are both rejecting Zincs they should accept when I use the first power source that I knew was working.

Any ideas? Can this be fixed?

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could help - I am also trying to get my comparitor hooked up. Re the polarity issue, buy a multimeter (a good one, not a cheap one) and that will tell you the proper polarity. I found out that I have one power source where the striped wire is negative, and another power source where the striped wire is positive. The way I'm reading past posts on this issue is that #1 is positive, #2 is negative, and #8 (should be #6) is ground. The bottom wire should not be with #1. I don't think that you've fried the unit if the green light comes on. Please read ALL posts on this issue from Madwest and Novapax and others.

OP
OP
Z

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info, you're right #6 (not 8, not sure how I was counting there). I'm going to try grounding 8 and seeing what happens, the main thing that concerns me is that now my original PS that was working, is no longer working. I've got a buddy coming over who's got an degree in electrical and computer engineering, he should be able to figure it out, I should have just waited for him in the first place... I have a good multimeter, I just haven't used it very much. I've never done any electrical work in the past (unless you count wiring speakers, I don't), I just started doing small jobs recently around the house, so this is all new to me.

OP
OP
Z

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
They aren't fried, I've got them working again, we're working on wiring them up again. We've got the first PS working though.

OP
OP
Z

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
Got everything working, now I just need to finish the chute and I'll be back up and running.

Thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread