🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compass is no longer in business. 

:'(

They were Fantastic machines.  If you're still interested in purchasing one, watch online auctions.  There are still folks around that will repair them (repair costs are usually a hundred bucks plus shipping, from what I understand).

If you're new at the hobby, you might wish to purchase something with a warranty--to protect your investment.  Tesoro detectors have a lifetime warranty, for example.

Regards,

BuckleBoy

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got two that still work. A Compass Relic Magnum 7 and a Compass Coin Magnum. They're a little heavy by today's standards. They each take 12 AA batteries which adds to the weight. I found lots of silver and gold with them.

Willy

I shouldn't say this because you might scoop one before I do, but the Compass detectors to beat are the Challenger X-100 and X200. Heavy pigs, but boy are they kick-a$$ detectors. They'll go head to head with anything made today and most likely administer a whuppin'. ..Willy.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Willy said, they are hard to beat even with todays detectors except for the weight of course. I had a Challenger back before I got into water hunting and loved it. when it pinpointed, it was dead on.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still looking to buy a ...Compass .. 77 Auto Legend....

Attachments

• leg1.jpg
    leg1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,129

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Willy pretty much has it right, the only thing that even gets close to the Compass x-100 and x-200 are the Compass GoldScanner Pro and the Relic & Coin (those both the same machine with a different name on them).

You can get a Compass quickest by calling Keith Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors. Keith repairs them and now and then sells them too - once he upgrades them. Yes, oftentimes he can increase the depth and performance on them. Keith is the man who increased the Compasses depth while he worked at Compass (all other metal detectors too, because they tended to follow his footsteps).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry said:
Willy pretty much has it right, the only thing that even gets close to the Compass x-100 and x-200 are the Compass GoldScanner Pro and the Relic & Coin (those both the same machine with a different name on them).

You can get a Compass quickest by calling Keith Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors. Keith repairs them and now and then sells them too - once he upgrades them. Yes, oftentimes he can increase the depth and performance on them. Keith is the man who increased the Compasses depth while he worked at Compass (all other metal detectors too, because they tended to follow his footsteps).
He worked on my GSP and is looking for a 77 Auto Legend for me............

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
Kinda new to the forum,been a lurker but with about 25 years relic hunting experience around the Vicksburg MS and Central MS. area. So Hi.

Some input on the Compass detectors...I've owned 2 over the years. Used a X-100 and it was kickass. Made some excellent finds with it. Deep shells too. Back then they covered the mb with a waxy/soft plastic protectant. Which would melt if left in a hot vehicle. I had a bud that left his in trunk while at work and came out and it was oozing this stuff. The 12" coils were a bit to be desired, they had some problems but the stock 8" was rock solid and had just as good depth.

I had another that I put huge head on, about 16" if I remember right. This was around 1986-87 if I remember right. Cant remember the model though. I could dig 3" Hotchkiss at around 2.5'-3'. I was kickass too. But a pain to swing in thickets. Its sitting on the seat of the bike, the bike is a 85 VFInterceptor I bought in 86(NOS) so I think this is 87.

CompassRelic.jpg

Willy

Yup, had to hold myself back a while ago. An X-100 came up for sale and I was too low on cash. Almost went for it. Too bad the company wasn't bought up by somebody with bux. A modernized X-100 would be the unit to beat. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread