Compass Legend 77 Auto

haliaeetus70

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I have a Compass Legend 77 Auto in real good condition, it really wasn't used much. My question is I'm thinking about putting it on eBay, but I have no idea what it's worth, I mean I don't know if it's worth 10 bucks or 500. I was hoping someone here could tell me a little more about it. I don't do much metal detecting so I'll let it go for the right price, but if I'm not going to get much I'll probably just keep it, Thanks so much for your time!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a sort after detector for many who appreciated its ability in heavily iron contaminated ground due to the 100 kHz frequency. Your auto model got a little bit of a bad press compared to the 77b but for rougher ground it was the better choice.

Last I saw up for sale fetched $230 but it was claimed to be stable. Some were not.

I would find a Compass forum and ask re price there. You might even get an offer as the 77 fans often get two or three.

OP
OP
H

haliaeetus70

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for your input, I'll find a Compass forum, thanx once again!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
UK brian gives a good answer. The original 77b was much more popular. The "legend" had the annoying trait of having no way to shut off the auto-tune feature. You could slow it down (as it was adjustable speed), but could not turn it off, as you could with the original 77b. And even at the slowest speeds of adjustment, it was fast enough still to cause depth loss and "re-bounds" etc... All very annoying.

And as Brian says, about the only possible advantage would be where you had very un-even ground, or fast changing minerals, both of which made the orignal 77b hard to handle, because it was hard to "ride the knob" fast enough to account for such conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread