Complete bust at the lake over Memorial Day...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I managed to acquire permission from the State Park Rangers (documented and everything) to hunt the park beaches this Summer. Driving up to the lake, I noticed the Payette river was VERY low... and as we passed the last bridge below the dam, I noted they were expanding the bridge, sinking new pylons (which explained the low water conditions). And then as we pulled into the campsite, it all clicked... They've not been letting water out of the lake, to enable work on the bridge... That means the lake is going to be high... REALLY HIGH. The "beaches" were all under 2-3 feet of water. Crud, the CAMPSITE had water encroached about a foot above the grassline, with many of the sites closed.

So much for beach hunting. :*(

The good news is.. LOTS of people were out standing in the water (still having a good time, possibly losing stuff)... when I come back in August, maybe it'll all be ripe! I'd been looking forward to that for months... *sigh*

-Skippy

Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer! But like you said it may get better for you, hang on to that permission slip from the rangers for later use!
GL. & HH!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That permission slip is apparently a SOP for them. No slip required, as long as your at the beach ONLY in this particular parks. They did appreciate me calling, and I've got the gals name for the future. even the guys in the trucks who came around said "you can do the beach, no problem, if you want to go elsewhere you need to call first."

Glad for that. They're pretty relaxed about beach detecting, at least. Makes sense, though. If it's ok for a kid to dig in the sand, why can't a detectorist? Be pretty stupid to say no. The park itself, I can understand...

when I go in August, I'll definitely call again, though. no need to get a camp host up in arms... If I have permission we can make a quick phone call to prove it. :)
-Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread