Complete Newb, tons of glass.

ememily2004

Feb 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Afternoon all,

I was exploring a family farm house built in 1848 and found a room full of glass jars in the basement. Some I know are crap from the family using the house as storage. Once I starting moving the more recent adds I found boxes of mason, alcohol, and cleaner glass jars. I doubt anything is really worth anything, but where do i start looking for identifiers? Is there a nice reference website or a book? I did a little searching online and most sites are unorganized and hard to gain information. We have clear, blue, yellow, green jars. Glass lids, metal lids that have oxidized, some screw on some have the wire that holds the glass lids.

Thanks for any information in advance.

Emily

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
fruit_jar_collector_antiques_vintage_mason_jars_placemat-rc678467c19e14b558ae77618d5e2c5a7_2cfku_8byvr_512.jpg

Hello Emily,

Welcome to TNet. How exciting! A brand new to you bottle room, fresh for the exploring.

There's "identifiers" embossed, and in the making marks on all of those bottles and jars. Posting some good photos, in natural light, could show us somewhat of what you've found, and allow us to have a bit of show & tell, and direct you to relevant sites or books.

I'm assuming you don't know anything about bottles & glass. Learning about them takes a minute, or 2.

Here's hoping you'll document this house find, and show & tell like crazy. I'd enjoy that, I know, and I'm sure there's oodles of others that would too.

Meanwhile, on the great bottle destinations in Internetville front; Historic Bottle Website - Homepage is a must see. Tell em I sent ya. :happysmiley:

There's some fruit jar links that might prove educational, over here>> Collecting Antique Fruit Jars

31wzStnVifL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PICTURE--ESPECIALY THE BLUE AND YELLOW ONES, THOSE ARE GREAT COLORS. BUT ALOT DEPENDS ON IF THEY ARE EMBOSSED OR NOT, AGE, CONDITION, YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MAY HAVE SOME GOOD ONES---POST SOME PICTURES AND GOOD LUCK :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions