Complete newbie here, have a few questions....

gmass22

Jan 3, 2005
I have been looking for a hobby that will get me out of the house and in the great outdoors for a while. I have often thought of MDing, but never really seriously enough to pursue it. I think I may give it a shot this spring. My questions:

What is a good MD for a newbie who wants a hobby to share with my son (4-1/2)?

Are there any toy or small MD's that my son could play with whilst we hunt?

I live in SE Tennessee and have a few local sites I would like to check out....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I was in the same situation last year.

This is what I did...

I bought a cheaper detector a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV it cost $100.00 bucks at Big Five sporting goods.
I took my kids to the park and while they played on the swings I was detecting.

I bought a cheap detector one to see if i liked it and wanted to continue doing it.

Question you must answer before you buy. What do you want ot find? modern clad jewlery old coins relices?
next ask yourself do you want a detector that is a turn on and go or one that has a learning cuve?

I choose the turn on and go and have been happy with it.

Let me know what you want to find and I will try to help.

Onion?

N

nicknyc

i'm in the same boat. no idea where to start, don't want to spend much more than $100 if i'm not sure if i'll keep up with it because the last time i md'd it was with the toy i had when i was a kid ( yes they make kid ones for like $22 :) ).

I'm most interested in old coins because coin collecting is a hobby that i've always had. . . but would like to not exclude general relic/jewelry finds ...

how is modern clad different from old coins as far as md'ing is concerned? is that based on the fact that every time one of you finds a real good old one its like 7"+ deep? or what the coins are made of?

i'm completely lost! lol

thanks for any help whatsoever in advance :)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all, You might checkout Radio Shack for a small cheap unit... I boughtr one from them a few years ago for my nephew and it was only $29 then... When we first got the unit we wasn't finding much of anything deeper then about 3", but as we got used to it, we can now detect a signal to about 6" to 7"... You might also try to find a local detector dealer. They usually have some good used models fairly cheap...
I have found several goodies with the Radio Shack unit. 3 silver coins, and a few Indian Heads...
I love the hobby, and alway wanted a good machine, so I recently perchased me a new CZ-3D from fishers, and I love it...
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

upier

Jan 6, 2005
been looking for a new detector.. and wondering what i may be missing with a lower end detector so is time to upgrade

been using a BH 202 for 2 years or so now is a ok unit have found some rings and lots of clad
but along i seem to keep getting false readings and seems to be lacking depth for anything deeper than 4 inches
so Ive been looking at new detectors, and decided upon the whites xlt e ..
are there Any down sides to this unit that i should be aware of before i jump in..

others that i was considering is the ace 250 but other than it's lighter it seems to be a push vs the BH

open to all suggestions

OP
OP
G

gmass22

Jan 3, 2005
Thanks for your replies everyone......

I am interested in finding modern clad jewlery, old coins... basically anything I can. I would like to eventually do some research on my area and see if I can find some old sites to check out. I don't even know where to start, so anything you all can contribute is greatly appreciated....

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Hi, I just posted the dahlonega gold coin I found. I started 4 years ago detecting, I started out with a radio shack detector. It costed around $168 bucks. I ended up getting silver with it. I had a $200 radio shack detector when I found the gold coin. Own a MXT now. Hunt demo sites and sidewalks that are torn up. Have fun. You can up grade latter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread