Compressor testing

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
All,
I know that should probably be posting this in the "tech" section of the site, but I wanted to "go to the source" so-to-speak. I'm looking for test equipment for dive compressors and have not found anything on the web so far that can provide a complete test of compressor air quality. Am currently in a partnership to open a dive center on the North Coast of Egypt (that would the second dive center in operation on the North Coast here....the other one is Alexandra Dive, do a web search) in the next 3 or 4 weeks and I need to find the test equipment to test our new compressor. How does this apply to wreck diving? Well, it will allow me to go up and down the North Coast of Egypt and attempt to locate wrecks, as well as take others out to enjoy them. Who knows? Might find a few coins laying around!

For me personally, this is just one more way to go try and finish my LCM project that I started so long ago.

If anyone can provide information on dive compressor air quality test equipment, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

too_deep

Greenie
Sep 8, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hey Mike,
I work for Bauer Compressors in Florida. You may want to look into either Bauer or Draeger air test units for your compressors. The standard in the U.S. for breathing air (SCUBA) is the C.G.A. grade "E"; if you are going to mix Nitrox using partial pressure, you need O.C.A. (oxygen-compatible air) grade, which requires upgraded purification systems.
If you are using fresh filters, ususaly air contamination is not an issue, except when the compressor is either gasoline or diesel powered. In these cases a snorkel or pre-filter assembly is recommended to avoid the fumes around the air intake.
Hope it helps...

Safe diving and HH

too_deep

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I am using the Bauer Utlis, model U-E3. too_deep's boys installed it for me about seven or eight years back. It has all the filters and water extraction, as well as a Carbon Monoxide monitoring system. It is hard wired into our electrical system, and has a two tank cascade system located in our tank fill room well away from the compressor room. This system basically requires a system check and filter replacement once or twice a year by the Bauer technicians. Other than that I do a monthly inspection of the system, and that makes it essentially a worry free operation for me, well worth the investment.

Tom

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
All,
Thanks much for the information. Found what I needed as a result. Helping to set up a dive center here in Alexandria, Egypt and the compressor is being delivered and installed on Monday. In the future, we hope to become a PADI resort dive center since we are located in a well established hotel. PADI UK requires records of air quality testing for each quarter prior to applying to them. The compressor is new so air quality should not be a problem, but it never hurts to check it out first. That, and we can start our records from day 1 of operation starting next month.

Thanks again for all of the info. Great Help!
Mike

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I am including a couple shots of my set up for ya!

Attachments

• DSC01609.JPG
    DSC01609.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC01610.JPG
    DSC01610.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC01611.JPG
    DSC01611.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 431

ceolacanth

Nov 20, 2004
Try TRI Air Testing Texas,

There are others TRACE, NUFILL etc but TRI alows you to sample moisture before submittal of test result, this will be most beneficial in your case as moisture content being too high is usually the primary failure and this is easier to fix before submittal.
Note always run your compressor for 5-7 mins freeflowing air before attempting to take a sample.
Try as a rule to keep your system under pressure ALWAYS as this prevents moisture from entering the filtration cartridges and thus there lifespan will not deterioate. I understand this is sometimes easier said than done but good compressor housekeeping involves finding all the small leaks and repairing them.

PS If you like what you see let me know what they quote I can get it Trade price for you.
Also any questions you have regarding installation setup maintenance etc feel free to get in touch we have techs for
Bauer, Mako, Ingersoll Rand, Hamworthy, Liberty and most otherv major brands.

Advice is free

Regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread