jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: compulsory volunteerism (required to pass ) "forced" labor vs 13th admendment

Unicorn said:
Here in the UK the pupils final year at School prior to going to 6th form college, (and incidentally 6th form college is not compulsary) is spent on the continuation of the three R's which are compulsary subjects. All other subjects that the pupil might think relevant to his/hers future career are chosen by the pupil. Of course prior to this final year at school all other subjects are taught. The subjects that the pupil chooses are then taught at a higher level in order to take what we call 0 level exams. If after passing these 0 level exams you carry on to college, although at this stage there are opportunities to re-take subjects you may have failed in after some further tuition. At 6th form college the pupils only concentrate on the subjects that he/she is good at, and has chosen to take to a higher standard. After this year at college the pupil takes an A level exam. If you pass these subjects at a reasonable standard ie: a.b.c. you can apply to a University for a place. You have to have at least 3 passes to get a University place even though you may only be going on to take 1 subject at University. Should a pupil want a place at somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge he/she has to have grade a. passes in A level subjects. I personally think this is a good thing, to take more than 1 subject at college, it gives the pupils a much greater rounding of other subjects in order to fit them for further studying at Universtiy.
To go to other Universties does not mean that the pupil will receive a lesser degree. Our Oxford and Cambridge is like your Yale or Harvard I would think. If a pupil is prepared to work hard he/she will gain as high a degree as if they had gone to the "Red brick Universities"
I do hope I have explained this well enough for you to understand me. It would be interesting to know if this system is applied in American schooling.

There is a Language thing That Confuses a bit.

Here in the U.s. there is no "6th form college"
we have 12 Years of School.
Then some go to "College" (Same as University)

Once students get to 10th. grade (Age 16)
at least it was this way when I went to school,
You could choose College Prep. Courses.
(Algebra, Typeing, a Language & ? )

If you don't take College Prep
10tb. 11th. & 12th. Grade were
Pretty much Recap 0f Middle school 7th,8th,9th.

When I Went in the Dark ages,

You needed English, Math,Health & History to Pass & Graduate.
(3 1/2 Credits)
straight D's were Passing.
Not even sure if that is a passing grade now.

Days absent didn't Matter, As I Held the Records
for Absences without Excuses (as I felt as
long as I was Passing it wasn't their Buisness)
all through 6th. through 12th.
grades. I Think about 30% out.

Now students can be Held back on days Absent
even with a A Average. So they tell them.

OH & here we have Vo-Tec 10th Thru 12th.
were you can get Bussed to a Vocational School
for half the year for courses in
medical, metal, and other fields.
in the case of Medical, it was "Suggested"
you get a Job or Volunteer in some place
like Hospital, Nursing Home, Whatever.
for "Extra Credit"

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: compulsory volunteerism (required to pass ) "forced" labor vs 13th admendment

Maths, and English, are both compulsary subjects taught here, and have to be taken as an exam at the 0 level grade. Whether you pass or not does not stop you going on to either College or University, unless of course Maths is what you are going to read at University. Then you would be required to have an a. pass at an A level exam We two have the 12 grades at school, but the 12 th grade is what we call college. In fact I think the kids have to stay at school longer here than they do in the US. In college you are taught the subject that THE PUPIL has chosen to specialize in, but it does have to include other subjects as well. It may seem strange that they have to study for as many A level subjects that they do well in. I have seen the very intelligent kids take and pass as many as 8-10 subjects. These are usually the ones who go on to Oxford or Cambridge. In fact my own niece has just passed 8... 0 level exams at grades a. and b. she is now at college studying the necessary subjects that she will take at A level grade. If she passes these grades hopefully she will get a place at University and go on to become a teacher, which she has chosen to be. What I am trying to emphasize is the fact that the kids do get the chance at the 11th and 12 th grades to learn the subjects that they feel best in doing
All of this may sound very confusing....but at least I know what I mean, :icon_scratch: I hope :dontknow:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

in the uda back in the 80's we had vocatiocal training * you trained to learn what "trade" you were interested in --drafting in my case * -- "shop class" for all "boys" was required --wood working, weldimg & sodering , metal fabrecation ( making a funnel from sheet metal-- you we given a blue print , some wood, sheet metal , tin snips to cut it out with . soder too -- you had to plane and shape the wood into the proper sized cone shape "mold" using the wood working tools, then cut out the sheet metal according to the pattern * then using a leather mallet "shape" the sheet metal into a cone by pounding it on the wood mold till it formed a cone the do a smaller smaller cone tip --insert it into the lager cone and soder it all into place -- to pass it had to work withno leaks --to get a better than a "c" grade looks counted not just function.--this was just one of many projects were learned -it made us learn to read blue prints -- learn how to use wood working tools -- metal shaping -- sodering all in one -- also about "craftsmanship" and just functional vs well made .

I learned about basic plumbing , basic carpentry , and many other things that kids today are "amazed" that I know all that "stuff" -- it was basic training in my high school

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Ivan.....All of those trades are learned after you have left school or college here. Yes the boys do, do woodwork, metal work, and even cookery classes during their school years. It's when they have left school or college and have decided to do that kind of work that they go on to do an apprenticeship in those chosen jobs. I would also like to say that it's not only boys that are doing that type of work but girls also. Recently we had a young woman come to service our central heating system........way to go for them :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread