Computer Advice

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PC is giving me some trouble , mostly from Free Cleanup Programs, that aren't really free, anyway, was looking for ideas on upgrading, and actually thinking about going with an Apple product. Would like to hear some opinions on this, from those of you who have had Windows or Apple.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy! Did you open a can of worms!

My career background includes support for both Mac and PC hardware. From a a support standpoint, Macs are a lot easier to support. If you compare speeds, the PC marketplace used to have the edge. Nowadays, with the MacOS nearly 100% Unix, that isn't the case.

Price wise, Macs still cost more than PCs. And, a lot more software is available for PCs, than there is for Macs. However, that is starting to change, especially in the last several months; favoring Macs.

Processing speed belongs to Macs. The major reason has to do with with Unix, which will always be faster than any PC-DOS OS. Pundits to the contrary, even Windows 8 is still DOS based.

MS is slowly but surely transforming themselves to a service support related company. That should be a major consideration if you can't fix issues yourself.

Obviously, any one contemplating a new computer should weigh all of the alternatives. You should do the same.

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Alan. A lot to consider!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you need a total re-formatte and re-install. Start off fresh and clean. BUT BE SURE TO SAVE ANY AND ALL FILES YOU NEED!!! Next thing, besides having a good ANTI-VIRUS, CCleaner would be the only other program to run! Not sure why people use these goofy websites like mycleanpc because you can do this all with CCleaner, AND ITS FREE!!!

My only advice if you don't want to re-formatte. Try to un-install all them programs, get CCleaner run it! It will remove the old registry entries from them BS programs that are killing your machine!

Also, this has ponder me for years! Keep your OS UPDATED!!! Along with an updated anti-virus program!!! Been doing this for years, never had a problem yet!!!

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks LifeNRA, right now I'm disabling add-ons, because I noticed that Google Chrome would get 'er done, while Internet Explorer would not, so I'm in that process right now. This works like it should with all of the add-ons disabled, now I just have to figure which ones (add-ons) I really need.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
LifeNRA is correct about CCleaner.Another one,completely free, is Temp File Cleaner by old timer.TFC does some cleaning that CCleaner misses.I was given a computer,but,I'm still using the hard drive out of my old comp until it dies.The hard drive is 12 years old and still going.I do not use an anti virus,Though I do have one it doesnt run constantly.Another decent free program is Spybot search and destroy.You can let spybot run constantly,i dont.Another hint is,unless you have a comp network at home,turn off all of the networking on your comp.Also make sure all of your drivers are up to date,heres what I use,Slim Drivers automated driver update.Also Defraggment your hard drive every once and a while,I do mine about once a week.Your OS has one but this one is better Defraggler by the makers of CCleaner.Learn about your comp,learn to fix it yourself and save a pile of money.Hope this helps you out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread