Computer Experts Please!

Nov 27, 2007
Valley of the Sun
My DSL has been disconnecting recently, and when I was troubleshooting I found out the problem may not be my DSL at all! ??? I was checking the Ethernet cord to make sure it was secure in the LAN port, a slight nudge on the cord cut the power to the whole computer! Really all i have to do is move the Ethernet cord slightly and the computer loses all its power.

Symptoms experienced:

Im using a Cisco 575 LRE Modem, The Ethernet light will go out and I lose internet connection. The only way to get it back is to restart the computer.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the modems power makes no difference.

As stated above, touching the ethernet cord causes the computer to lose it power.

Internet disconnects about 4 times a day! (I always lose the ethernet light first)

Ive replaced the modem and all the cords and still having the same problems. So im thinking theres some faulty parts in my computer :dontknow:

Im using a Presario SR5250NX.

Thanks.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if messing with the ethernet cord cuts the power to the whole computer... it's likely the computer, especially if you've already replaced the modem & ethernet cords. The ethernet cord should have nothing to do with the power to your computer. Do you have a desktop or laptop? If it's a desktop, it's not that hard to open the case and replace with a new ethernet card inside your computer.
But like I said, the ethernet shouldn't have anything to do with the power to the main computer itself....

Also, it "could" possibly be on the end of your internet provider. You might contact them about it first.

Bran <><

S

Smee

If you are using a PCI slot with a NIC (Network Interface Card) and not an "onboard" NIC, the card could be improperly installed and either not completely seated in the slot or it could be shorting by touching another card inside of the computer.

Other possibilities: Look for a stray molex connector resting against the card, as sometimes solder on a bad solder joint (too much solder poking out from the card) can touch the connectors. Also, look for a "fan connector" which may have come unplugged the last time someone opened the computer to service it or blow it out.

Any dead short will cause the power supply to shut down. If it didn't, you could end up with a really hot machine. That is what it sounds like is going on with your computer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions