Computer Monitors

tinykin

Sep 13, 2009
Hi Gang:

I am relatively new to the scrapping game and only do easy and obvious metals however ...

In our area if someone doesn't want something they just take it out and leave it on their boulevard for people to take.

There are lots of computers left out and, for me, they are too much work for the return as I don't have a truck and local places only buy steel by the ton.

My question: there are lots of computers but way more monitors (the bigger types not flatscreens). Are these or anything in them worth anything?

Thanks.

MCPrice302

Greenie
Dec 4, 2009
Talladega, Alabama
There is a marginal ammount of copper inside of them, however, there are also lots of toxic metals contained inside as well. I say it's not worth it to bother getting the monitors even for free. I know that yards around here wont take them and I personally wouldn't care to bust them open and have glass and heavy metals everywhere just for a little bit of copper. I beleive its also federal law now that you cant landfill these items as well. I say cut the power cord off and move on to better materials.

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
I don't know where you are in Canada.. but I think you're dealing with the wrong yard. Stripping computers is definetly worth the hassle. Just gotta do your research and get yourself a van. I've never heard of a yard that only accepts stuff by the ton, if that was the case none of us here would be making extra $$ :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

tinykin

Sep 13, 2009
I'm in Victoria on Vancouver Island. All the yards are the same - scrap steel by the ton only. It probably has to do with being on an island. The yards have to store it up an put it on a barge to send to Vancouver. Historically they haven't been really interested in steel/iron etc as it is probably expensive for them to move it. Now it is higher value they will buy but only in bigger loads.

Computers are ok to do but I usually end up dumping the steel case in recycling (as they will take steel for free in lesser quantities).

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
you can get get fair money out of mother boards and Pentium chips some old tube monitors have copper yolks.... but as mentioned could be dangerous, maybe chemicals, gasses in tube defiantly lead, red wire to tube remains hot even without juice. stainless steel shells are around .80 to 1.00 lb mother boards about 2.50 lb . boards and chips in good shape sell well on eBay. ins. wire over 1.00. plastic is .03

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread