Computer Problem.....HELP!!!

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
If you go to the control panel and open the uninstal programs icon, can you find the pcenter program? If so, you can delete it from there. Otherwise you need to find where it has made its' home and delete it there.

John

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Blur , but I tried that yesterday and it didn't work .

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:

Good Ray!! :thumbsup:

After you download that program, mojjax, I'd suggest downloading & installing both of these free programs on your computer.
Once you install each one, run the update on each and your computer will be good to go. They'll both stay down on the right hand of your start bar and will make sure nothing gets onto your computer. Also might not hurt to run a full system scan with each program if you get the chance... just to make sure there aren't any other viruses hiding around on your computer.

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Anniversary-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=mncol

Avast! Home Edition
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home...0019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Bran <><

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
After you uninstall it, you might want to go to Start-then Search and type in PCENTER. Let it run a complete search for All Files and Folders to make sure all the little footprints are gone. :wink:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:

SC_hunter said:

Double post...

billKY said:
Bran, can you explain your selection of AVAST over the current AVG free? Feel free to respond offline via PM if you prefer.

Just curious.

Hey Bill...
Oh it's ok, I don't mind saying it on here. I have nothing "against" AVG, as I used it before my switch to Avast! I generally will heavily modify my PC to my comfort level, from removing most of the previous factory software (and the tracks left behind) via YourUninstaller 2009, to the overall aesthetics of my machine with software from Stardock.com (i.e. ObjectDock, Fences, Windowblinds, etc.) and other tweaking software to make it "my" computer. Well back on my XP laptop, I had AVG installed for a year or two and had hardly any issues with it... though it DID miss a single virus attack once, but through my online ventures, I probably deserved it because I made one rookie mistake without logically thinking about it. Anyway, AVG came out with some update to the software itself (not a virus definition update) and it COMPLETELY went nuts on my machine with some kind of conflicting issue with Windowblinds (which can't be easily uninstalled). So I was forced to ditch AVG, and that's when I happened upon Avast! I won't lie, it's a little less "basic" than AVG, but it has MUCH more to offer than AVG as well!! Outside of the automatic updates that audibly announce in a man's voice that it just updated itself (I think it's pretty neat), it also has what is called a "Start-up Scan" which will scan a computer as it starts up, and BEFORE Windows (and any viruses on your computer) can start up, without going into Safe Mode to run the virus scan. It works with every flavor of the Windows OS, BESIDES stinkin' Vista 64-bit (what I'm running!!) Hopefully they'll fix that in a later update... but overall, I've thrown ALOT of malicious sites at Avast! and Ad-Aware... and between the two of them, they have MORE than held down the fort and kept my system clean and virus free for going on 2 years now!!!

Another program that's worth taking a look at, that will completely do a full clean wipe of your system for anything malicious that may be hiding between Virus & Ad-Aware scans is called CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/)
It doesn't usually hit anything more than browser cookies that are spyware, and usually harmless to your PC itself... but it's well worth adding to the mix in keeping your system secure. It also cleans up ALOT of space on your computer and gets rid of all the temporary and unneeded files that accumulate with regular computer use. After it runs a full system scan, and shows you how much space it opened up for you, you'll be glad and probably even notice a little less sluggishness while using your computer. :wink:

Sorry for the long response. I hope I was basic enough in my explanation...

Bran <><

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this info, good luck.
Carl
PCenter (Privacy Center, PrivacyCenter) is a rogue anti-spyware program, a fake virus remover, which used the Trojan Zlob to enter the computer system. Once PCenter trial version is installed it will commence running each time you start Windows, so your PC use will be constantly accompanied by the annoying pop-up advertisements and deceptive system scanners issued by PCenter...

Follow the instruction on the link below, it's step by step instructions how to clean your computer system from PCenter using Antispyware tool . It's very effective and fast

Easy steps removal using Spyhunter:
http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-804...

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to thank everyone for helping , I think it's gone now . I used spybots - we had that tool on the computer (my niece downloaded it when she visited last year) We just never used it much .
When the thing first hit I did HP Recovery wich sent our computer back to 2003 (when we first bought it ) We lost a few things , but thanks to Carbonite , we got everything back in a few minuets .

We can't belive how fast it works now !

thanks everybody !

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ad-aware & the CCleaner are both great programs, easy to install and free. If you dont have a security program, consider Zone Alarm, there is a free version of this and it does a better job than Norton and McAfee.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
I`m a huge fan of ad-aware/zone alarm and Firefox (browser), been using that combo for many years without issue. Each new and refurb build I do has these three programs installed as they are easy to use for beginners on up. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread