Computer problems

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had terrible luck with computers the last few weeks. Had a mechanical hard drive malfunction, lost everything. New computer lasted one day and I got the blue screen of death. They replaced that one with the one I have now, has Windows 10 on it, and the more I use it, the more I'm getting disgusted with windows 10. I've had a MAC in the past, and I just might go that route again, I'm certainly not happy with Microshaft right now. When I finally get used to the changes I suppose I'll feel better about it, but right now I'm not a real happy camper. My 16 year old grandson has no problems with it, and he got my gmail back for me, and has been a big help getting me back up to speed on this infernal contraption.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Windows 10, if you give it time, will make you wonder how we ever got by with XP or 7.

Works a little different, but definitely a better OS ... I love it, but I'm only 58. Started before there were windows on the computers ... back in the dark days of DOS. If you think any other Micro$loth operating system is bad, find an old compute with Windows 3.0 or earlier.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down load ALL of your pictures on either a flash drive or external hard drive. I have both....I lost a lot of pictures after the first crash. Good luck and keep that 16 year old Grandson close!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I know the feeling. Microshaft literally FORCED me to upgrade to Win10. Then when they did it they erased ALL of my Book Marks and Favorites. Plus they now have my sister as the main administrator and my kids Account page comes up on screen. Then I have to go online and resign in to ANY of my sites I normally go to each day. I'm ticked. THEN I'm told that if I try to revert back to Win7 that process WILL Delete many of the OS files on my pc so that even the Win7 will not act properly any more. Plus the Start Button that made life so easy is GONE as well.
Any ideas here guys. I'm stumped. PEACE:RONB

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When a hard drive crashes, you may have one option. Freeze the hard drive (put it in the freezer in a ziplock bag). Pull it out a day later and then hook it up as a slave drive on another computer and it may come up long enough to pull what you can't afford to lose.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Flash drives are super, super cheap these days. I have a number of them, stored both at the house and some in a safety deposit box.

I also have a 1 TerraByte external harddrive. It is approx 3x5" and hooks up via USB. I have my entire harddrive backed up on it (I bring it home and repeat a few times a year) and keep it in the safety deposit box also.

On top of all of that, you can get a free Dropbox acct (which stores to the cloud). I pay for mine, though. I get 1 TerraByte for $100/year, iirc. I can access any of my info from any PC that has internet access. There is also an app, so I can access any of my files, or upload any files, from my phone. I downloaded the app on my wife's phone, then put in the login and password, so now she has access to all the files and can upload from her phone.

If my pc crashes, it is a mere inconvenience now.

Hope any of this helps.

caveat: I feel I should add that, personally, I don't put anything too confidential on Dropbox, such as bank statements, etc.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Always backup your files. I use dropbox so nothing is on my desktop. Google drive, amazon prime, box, onedrive, etc all can do this too.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my understanding that WIN TEN copies all your files to their computer-------- I don't need this.
I've been clicking no to the offer for 3 month now. I have zero problems with WIN SEVEN.
Marvin

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is my understanding that WIN TEN copies all your files to their computer-------- I don't need this.
I've been clicking no to the offer for 3 month now. I have zero problems with WIN SEVEN.
Marvin

Me also Marvin. I started up my computer 3 days ago and the screen says welcome to Windows 10... WTF!!!! Click "next" to install.... or "not owner"... NOT OWNER!!!!! Took about 10 minutes to re-install my previous system... HOW DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN. I like my Window's 7. But I don't do much with my computer either. I like the KISS mode. Keep It Simple Stupid.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The worst thing about technology is that it tries to automate things for us - which suggests that we are no longer individuals, but one distinct, unified creature made up of millions of separate parts. I would MUCH rather decide for myself what I want done, when, and especially HOW!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; You guys are backing up my point that my PC was hijacked by Microshaft. They "FORCED" me to upgrade. I'm ticked over it. My PC was left OFF and the second I turned it on there was Win10 already installed on my PC. I lost a LOT of files, pictures, Book Marks etc when this happened. Then I'm told that if I try to revert to Win7 again the process removes a lot of OS Files making the Win7 version difficult to use and it slows down your pc as well. I feel like I've been ROBBED.!!! :BangHead: This is NOT right and they should fix it carte blanche. This is wrong. PERIOD. What say ye folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using Windows 7. Last year, the computer decided (on its own) to do an unauthorized, full-system restore. I lost everything! However, the evidence was gone. Now I back things up!!

As for the PC doing that on its own, you should check your automatic update settings. If you allow the computer to update automatically, it will download files in the background, without you even knowing. Then next time you start up, the updates are initiated. However, turning off automatic updates makes your system prone to security risks. It really is a no-win situation. Everyone thinks it's grand how technology can do things for us, often even before we realize we need something done, but I'm still a firm believer in "my own way" of doing things. My newest vehicle is a 2004 - and as soon as I can afford to, I'm going to find me a 1980's to mid-1990's truck that has had a frame-off restoration!! Even 1970's wouldn't be too bad. At least back then it was possible for things to be worked on without major DEconstructive surgery!!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using Windows 7. Last year, the computer decided (on its own) to do an unauthorized, full-system restore. I lost everything! However, the evidence was gone. Now I back things up!!

As for the PC doing that on its own, you should check your automatic update settings. If you allow the computer to update automatically, it will download files in the background, without you even knowing. Then next time you start up, the updates are initiated. However, turning off automatic updates makes your system prone to security risks. It really is a no-win situation. Everyone thinks it's grand how technology can do things for us, often even before we realize we need something done, but I'm still a firm believer in "my own way" of doing things. My newest vehicle is a 2004 - and as soon as I can afford to, I'm going to find me a 1980's to mid-1990's truck that has had a frame-off restoration!! Even 1970's wouldn't be too bad. At least back then it was possible for things to be worked on without major DEconstructive surgery!!

Yes! turn off automatic updates!
If you don't Windows will update things like your graphics driver.....No thanks! I have an AMD Radeon graphics card, Windows updated the driver &%$#@!*$#%!! I get the updates from AMD.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm wondering if this FORCED upgrade routine is a Criminal Matter. We non longer own our PC's. Microshaft does and tough luck on us if we don't like it. This is flat out wrong. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me also Marvin. I started up my computer 3 days ago and the screen says welcome to Windows 10... WTF!!!! Click "next" to install.... or "not owner"... NOT OWNER!!!!! Took about 10 minutes to re-install my previous system... HOW DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN. I like my Window's 7. But I don't do much with my computer either. I like the KISS mode. Keep It Simple Stupid.
The reason it happened was when their screen comes up asking you to update you X it out which is fine. No Problem:icon_thumleft:
Now if you are away from your open and running computer and that screen comes up they will download automatically after, I think, fifteen minutes. Big Problem:BangHead:
Marvin
PS, I no longer leave a window open and most times I turn my 'puter off.:notworthy:

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Dolphins are very,very intelligent. They have trained some Humans to stand on the pool edge and toss them fish." .... So say's GA Boy / Marvin!

Well, I guess you haven't stood on the pool edge long enough. Won't take long and your ass will be IN the pool! Fish be damned! :laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happened to me last friday. I stepped away from the computer for a few min and when i came back it was in the middle of downloading win 10. The only way i was able to stop it was to hold the power button down until it shut down hard. When i restarted, it gave me the message that the download was unsuccessful and it wanted to resume the update. That gave me the clue that windows 10 was no longer a system upgrade but instead was reclassified as a recommended update. As i understand it, critical and recommended updates are automatically downloaded and installed unless you tell it otherwise. I now have it set to inform me of any available updates a let me choose what updates to download and when to install those updates.

Yep i believe Microsoft has pulled a fast one on a lot of people and i believe it is criminal. They have stolen peoples operating systems plain and simple.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Try this:
Click on Start (lower left corner icon)
Click on All Programs
Click on Windows Update. When the window pops up, look in the left column for Change Settings
Under the heading Important Updates, I have selected "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

From there, I can research and choose (or deny) any update I wish. No more worries about the PC doing anything automatically. If you have never done this, then Install Updates Automatically (recommended) is probably set by default.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"Dolphins are very,very intelligent. They have trained some Humans to stand on the pool edge and toss them fish." .... So say's GA Boy / Marvin!

Well, I guess you haven't stood on the pool edge long enough. Won't take long and your ass will be IN the pool! Fish be damned! :laughing7:

...I started to question this, but decided I didn't even wanna know. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread