Computers

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you must decide how far you are willing to go with your efforts. I have been at it many years and have had to find many avenues to make the most out of it.

Demanufacturing (the disassembly and recycling of obsolete consumer products) is the first step. You can take apart every component in a computer for resale. I have been successful reselling motherboards, even old motherboards on ebay and to local computer repair shops. Hard drives can also be resold but you must learn about data security and data destruction. Many states have laws restricting sale of hard drives containing personal informantion. Memory is always my first hit, there is a guy in town who buys most of the memory I salvage. Some will go as far as melting out all the circuits in boards for resale. NOTE: DO NOT try to demanufacture CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) most CRT's contain up to 8 pounds of lead and very difficult to demanufacture.

If its raw material your looking for: Many materials used in the construction of computer hardware can be recovered in the recycling process for use in future production. Reuse of tin, silicon, iron, aluminum, and a variety of plastics – all present in bulk in computers – can reduce the costs of constructing new systems. In addition, components frequently contain copper, gold, and other materials valuable enough to reclaim in their own right.

Electronic devices, including audio-visual components (televisions, VCRs, stereo equipment), mobile phones and other hand-held devices, and computer components, contain valuable elements and substances suitable for reclamation, including lead, copper, and gold. They also contain a plethora of toxic substances, such as dioxins, PCBs, cadmium, chromium, radioactive isotopes, and mercury. Additionally, the processing required to reclaim the precious substances (including incineration and acid treatments) release, generate and synthesize further toxic by-products.

So do a lot of research before diving into this. Become knowledgeable of what and where the toxins are. Recycle what you don't want or know what to do with.

Hopes this helps and always have fun.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Related to what chrisplay just said, this week a couple who live a few miles from me were admitted to the hospital with acute Mercury poisoning from trying to recover gold from computer scrap. Do only what you can safely and leave the dangerous stuff for those who know what they are doing.

Good Luck

Old_Okie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread