Con men and hucksters...

carajou

Jan 9, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
There's always the tales coming from the occasional treasure hunter who's been a victim of some clown posing as a "seller of a valuable document."? "I got a map" he says, "that will lead to a fortune in gold.? Wanna buy it?"

And sometimes the t-hunter buys it, forgeting about the fine print at the bottom which always seems to say "sucker!"

So, before you go pull some money out of the bank, pay heed to a few things:

1.? Every psychic in the country always has the winning lotto number for the customer, but no psychic has ever won the lottery.? Likewise, every man who wants to sell a map with "X" marking the spot has never found the treasure underneath the "X".? It's because they know where the easy money is at: a victim's wallet.

2.? If you get someone offering a map, documents, and other "I-can-find-it-for-a-fee" garbage, ask a bunch or questions.? Powel Nowak is an example of a scammer, and a simple typing of his name in a search engine is guaranteed to pull up complaints of his scamming world-wide.

3.? Whatever it is that they got in their hands can be accessed for nothing.? Nowak has documents for sale?? Go to any library on the internet.? Go to the Library of Congress.? Any university.? Government archives.? Researching is free.

It also doesn't have to involve treasure.? I recieved lots of emails from scam artists in Detroit, and it involved getting college degrees.? Drop a few hundred to a few thousand in their hands, and instantly I'd have a Ph.D in education, a doctorate in philosophy, a masters in engineering...a degree in anything that's only good for lining the bottom of a birdcage (Unfortunately for them, I sent their info off to the chancellor of Vanderbilt University, with a suggestion that students lead into an investigation.? I haven't heard from these "diploma-mill" clowns since).

And last, give these clowns the boot into a jail cell.? You get a message about a sale, and you've done some background checking on the guy, give the cops a call.? Let them know about it and deal with it.? ?>:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread