Conan Or Jay?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK,
So there's some brew-ha-ha about the late evening TV viewings...not really sure of the fine details but, was wondering who you prefer to watch and why.

For me, they're about the same.

I miss Johnny, Ed and Doc... :headbang:

Scott

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss Johnny, Ed and Doc, too.

But, if I had to choose my druthers, I'd rather have Jay in the tonight show.

I like Conan, and he has shown himself to be an upstanding guy during this whole mess, but I never thought he was good for the tonight show.

NBC is a mess - period - they got rid of their highly watched shows, have replaced them with some garbage here and there - I just don't know what NBC is thinking - about anything. They completely ruined their Thursday night line-up.

B

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs. O,
Guess you remember also some of the other great NBC line ups like Death Valley Days, Fibber McGee & Molly, etc.....all in black and white or on the radio...ah, what times those were...

Scott

And who can forget the chimes...ding, ding, dong..

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I certainly do (though honestly, I don't always remember what network they are on - olds-timers, ya know), but I do think they were on NBC.

I've begun watch much more ABC than I ever used to. Usually, most of my ABC watching was of the local news and weather variety. Now I watch Grey's Anatomy instead of "The Office", and I find myself watch MUCH more satellite tv - Ice Road Truckers, Axe Men, Unsolved Mysteries, stuff like that.

I really hate it that the local channels are always moving things around. I'm tired of having to look every week to find shows.

B

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Niether, those types of shows don't appeal to me personally. They all turned into celebrities trying to sell books or movie tickets. I just think they are a bunch of over payed cry babies. I heard on the news that Friday will be Conans last "Tonight show" and he is walking out with a check for $45 million. I won't miss him a bit or watch Leno.

JMHO Charlie

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two reasons I watch Leno (I hardly ever watch the whole thing), but I like his opening monologue, and best of all - I do love "Jaywalking".

But, I doubt I will miss Conan. Do you remember the days (not too many years ago) when he first had his own show, that he actually had to put up cardboard cutouts, because guests refused to be on the show, or just didn't show up?

B

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that Conan could have settled sooner on his departure from NBC but that he held out for severence for his staff... :headbang: :thumbsup:

That's Class!

Scott

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I normally don't discuss television programming because it's just like life itself. Sometimes it's just "Time to move on". This might fit in with my idea or it might not.

I think I will move on with other topics now.

Spartacus

Aug 17, 2007
Letterman...

I really never had a good laugh with either Leno, or Conan.

Jay never had an original idea either. That 'Jaywalking", is just a rip off from Howard Stern. Howard even had the game "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader", years before Fox aired it. Honestly if Stern had a late night show, Letterman and Leno would both be looking for work :laughing9: You may not like Stern, but he is a funny man with wacky ideas and that is entertaining. His interviewing skills are also well honed.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay , by far to me is better than Conan,the Headlines segment that he does is really funny and so is Jay-Walking.The way Jay plays with the band is good too,Johnny use to do that too.I never got to meet Johnny,but I did get to meet Doc one time many,many years ago after Johnny was gone.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really cannot stand Howard Stern - on anything - radio or television. They are even talking about Stern returning to Idol (he was there before Simon).

There is a lot of programming anymore that I cannot stand. It reminds me of that song that says "57 channels, and nothing on" (Bruce Springsteen), only we have 220 channels, and there is STILL nothing on. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

B

Spartacus

Aug 17, 2007
mrs.oroblanco said:
I really cannot stand Howard Stern - on anything - radio or television. They are even talking about Stern returning to Idol (he was there before Simon).

There is a lot of programming anymore that I cannot stand. It reminds me of that song that says "57 channels, and nothing on" (Bruce Springsteen), only we have 220 channels, and there is STILL nothing on. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Sorry, but I don't recall Stern ever being on American Idol. There has been recent talk that they want to approach him for next year as his contract with Sirus Radio is up. As for American Idol, I really don't see them approaching Stern as I think this will be the final year for them, that show jumped the shark. When Stern gets crude I switch the station to music, but on the whole he is a funny guy. For some reason I think that Leno tries to hard to b funny and it seems his timing is off, but then again, that is my own opinion.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
johnny carson and his crew had style and was very funny and good -- leno is not as good but in my veiw is far funnier than conan can ever hope to be -- conan simply put was weak -- he simply could not draw the numbers of folks leno does * -- he got paid well to stick around since the TV brass thought leno would wane over time and so they hedged their bets by promising conan the today show to keep him "on board" as the up and coming replacement for leno -- when the time came to "pay up" on the promise --the brass knew there was a very good chance conan would "flop" so they moved jay over to prime time and paid him well to stick around --after seeing the weak numbers conan was "producing"and the fact that once folks saw leno they went to bed rather than hanging on thru the late night news to watch conan as they used to have to to see leno --the TV brass hit the redo button * bumping conan and putting leno back in place -- to his credit conan did insure his staff was taken care of as well as himself .

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Leno is my choice. Conan has his following, but I just can't get into his brand of humor. Letterman seems too self absorbed for me to watch. Never thought he was very funny.

John

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Leno, then Letterman, then Conan.

I don't worry about anybody stealing anybody's material, mostly because I don't think anyone in Hollywood has had an original idea in years.

Amost every movie is either a re-make or a take-off, or an "also ran" or some theme on another theme that has already been done. You get one good hit movie, and 30 more like it show up.

At least the late night guys (all of them) are keeping up with what's happening every day - and its kind of refreshing to hear current events. (especially if it is done in satire).

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread