Concentric vs DD

metal guy

Greenie
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I had recently request a suggest for my v3i as far as wet sand detecting coil. It was suggested that a 950 would work well. However upon reading on metaldetecting.com's vast articles I am under the impression that the 950 is a concentric coil, which it states performs poorly with hot rocks and minerals and that a DD would work better. Again though this is not the case for myself,the DD picks up alot of salt minerals in wet sand.
Can someone explain to me what the difference Is? Is the 950 concentric? Do I just need to lower sensitivity? I am looking at getting a new coil to use in place of the D2 that I have right now and suggestions on a good wet sand/ black sand coil would help tremendously.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
metal guy

metal guy

Greenie
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But why? Why does one site day concentric will have alot of problems with salt minerals, yet everyone recommends the 950 which is a concentric coil?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually the DD coils work better in mineralized soil but the V3i works better on the saltwater beaches with the concentric 950. Could be that the 950 doesn't see quite as much ground as the 10" D2 coil. I know I was pretty unhappy with the D2's performance at the beach and so I tried the 950 with much better results. My V3i doesn't ever see the beach any more although I used to use it a lot on the beach with the BigFoot coil. My latest favorite Dry sand saltwater beach detectors have been the Fisher Gold Bug DP, F19 with 7"x 11" coil, and now the Makro Racer with the 7"x 11" coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread