Concern Clue Pointing tree

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll start... My favorite clue is the "pointing Tree".

One reason is because there are about 3 or 4 different versions of that clue. That means, in my opinion, that while the versions differ slightly, there is still supposed to be a tree with a limb pointing to the mine.

The other reason I believe it is because I have a picture of this tree. I'd post it here, but I'm on my phone. I did post it on my own thread called "Clues that match my search area".

Thanks
Travis

I actually like this clue, but my concern is that the tree marking the Dutchman mine would have to be roughly 150 years old. I'm not saying that it's not possible for a tree to live that long but my concern is that something could have happened to it in all that time. Struck by lightning, knocked down by a falling rock or even washed away.

I also wonder how many man made pointing trees could be out there, not just as "false clues" but as actual markers others may have used to mark a trail.

I also have the same thoughts about Saguaro markers, while the Saguaro lives quite a long time they still don't live forever and could suffer the same fate as any plant life in the desert.

Not to say I would not look for a pointing tree, but would approach this clue with skepticism unless like Travis I found other clues in the area.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually it is my understanding that a saguaro cactus gets its first main branch at 100 years old or older.
So if you see a cactus,saguaro, with 1 main branch out the side,it is at least 100 hundred years old.
I will have to go research this.
Maybe i should have researched it before I wrote this. DUH.

But,as you said, a tree with a branch pointing a certain way, I see those types all over the place.
By the way, I went through the whole thread of DD with all his photos and posts when it was going on I thought he had the tree pegged..Thought for sure he had the mine in his hands.
Probably did,hes just not sharing. When you need a hand carrying all that heavy stuff, I can help DD.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is from a page from the US Dept of the Interior about Cacti,the Saguaro especially.
when a saguaro reaches 50 to 70 years
of age. In areas of lower precipitation, it
may take up to 100 years before arms
appear.
When a saguaro reaches 35 years of age
it begins to produce flowers. Though
normally found at the terminal end of
the main trunk and arms, flowers may
also occur down the sides of the plant.
Flowers will continue to be produced
throughout a saguaro’s lifetime.
An adult saguaro is generally consid-
ered to be about 125 years of age. It may
weigh 6 tons or more and be as tall as
50 feet. The average life span of a
saguaro is probably 150 - 175 years of
age. However, biologists believe that
some plants may live over 200 years.

This link below goes to the page for anyone to read.

Saguaro Cactis Info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread