Concerns - AT Pro and the Florida Sun

MadPixelPusher

Oct 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
Surf P.I. Dual Field
It would seem to me that swinging an all black, sealed detector on a Florida beach in the sun all day would invariably end up baking the electronics to the point of failure. For instance, look at the difference between a white car and a black car parked in the sun all day. Both get hot, but the black car gets hotter quicker and longer than the white one. Is this sound reasoning or are there variables I'm not taking into account here? Don't get me wrong. I think the AT Pro looks great but here in Florida the sun bakes most plastics where they get brittle, fragile over time! Am I just paranoid? Over analyzing this or what? Opinions on this matter please!

OP
OP
MadPixelPusher

MadPixelPusher

Oct 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
Surf P.I. Dual Field
Good point. Additionally, I hear humidity over 75% can be a problem as well!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MadPixelPusher said:
Good point. Additionally, I hear humidity over 75% can be a problem as well!
I hadn't thought of the possibe heat build up on the black plastic though it has never affected my Fisher's. You are right about the humidity too as in the early days we would float a land detector on a raft with a plastic bag covering the detector. Humidity trapped in the bag would cause troubles and we would have to open the bag. But the AT Pro is going to be waterproof but my concern is with the magnetic black sand mixed with saltwater at some coasts beaches. :coffee2:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of MD'ers waiting on feedback about this machine. As with all new products of this nature only time will reveal the true nature of the beast. I'm probably going to wait until the first of the year, allow some time for some feedback to hit the airwaves. Like Sandman, I want to wait to see how it handles certain environments. :dontknow:

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the AT is supposed to be a water proof land/relic detector. We tend to put water proof and beach/wet sand detecting together. If the AT water proofing is done by encapulaiting the electronics. Not sealing them together with gaskets like most water machines are made. It will be interesting to see the results. I would hate to see Garretts great support go down hill by being indated by reapirs/malfunctions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions