Concinnum Machine (Update with site photo)

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I haven't posted my finds up for a while as I've been keeping a low profile on a site I'm working on at the moment. I'm assisting a local historian and trying to get as much done before she goes to print next year. Unfortunately the last time she got in the news another detectorist came in to a section of the area, dug it all to hell leaving holes everywhere and rubbish strewn around - a real mess. I went in afterwards and filled in all the holes and just shook my head.

At this site which I've spent a lot of time on this year every finds location is recorded on a GPS, cleaned, photographed, tagged, bagged and details recorded in a journal. At the end everything goes to the local historical society. As much as there's been some nice finds I'd much rather they go somewhere where they will have some meaning and research value. On the plus side its opening a lot of doors and I've now got a few years worth of historical sites which they have directed me to which I can detect.

Last weekend I was doing a new area and the first item for the afternoon was a metal small cylinder on which i could make out 'Evans Patented Concinnum Machine London' - I had no idea what a Concinnum Machine was and it bugged me for the next three hours thinking about it ;D It was only when I got home and carefully opened it up did I get an idea. Its for making roll-your-own cigarettes. A few other items I found on the day were a nice little thimble, a cast iron bath leg (still cleaning it up), kerosene lamp base, part of an old vintage bike pump a big lizard, a Bullants nest and a Funnelweb Spider. Nothing like the Aussie bush for things that can bite, sting and kill you ;D Bullants are extremely aggressive and grow to about 4cm long and the Funnelweb is one of the worlds deadliest spiders (didn't stop me from waving the wand over his burrow - I mean you gotta check right?) ;D ;D ;D.

Attachments

• concinnum1.JPG
    concinnum1.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • concinnum2.JPG
    concinnum2.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,361
  • thimble.JPG
    thimble.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,170
  • clawfoot.JPG
    clawfoot.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,092
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Conninum Machine

A man after my own heart :wink:

Nice work & keep on improving the good name of Detecting. Instead of them jurks that ruin it for us. :)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Harry_Morant,

nice group of finds; thanks for posting.

"Concinnum"; :-\ ???
Learn something every day. ;D

Thanks for posting.

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome post Harry,thanks for sharing Funnell Web Spider is a rather nasty find, you didn,t keep it. lol

tinpan

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's lots of things I've never seen and that ,"Conninum" is one of them. Nice.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Post! :thumbsup:

Concinnum... I've gotta remember that. :)

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

nice job on the thimble! Got one of those last weekend. They are very hard to find now adays! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Harry_Morant

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Concinnum Machine

Thanks for the feedback guys. For Australia is a relatively old site dating back to the 1860s when there was a bit of gold mining going on and various camps and buildings having come and gone. Its all bush now but attached is a segment of a photo of part of the area showing showing various camps one of which is a Police Camp and another which housed Labourers.

Attachments

• site.jpg
    site.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 745

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread