Conductive ground - long range locator

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using Spectra. It's a frequency generator with ground probe and the L-rods with weight check.
So far I am able to detect different burried objects but cannot fix on a specific metal target (e.g. gold, silver).
If there are different objects burried in same area (nails, wire pieces, etc...) I detect them all.
Maybe it has to do with ground rezistivity as I cannot create the energy line to gold/silver object even though I select specific frequency?

I've never used a Spectra but I have an Eliminator E-120 and in the set frequency mode it gives a nice signal.

Just a question: did you recently bury your test target? It can take a long time for the target field to reach the surface. That's what they talk about longtime buried objects. So for test purposes just set it on the ground or partially in the ground with the largest surface area facing the transmitter. Wait about five minutes before searching. It takes a lot of practice to learn to use L-rods. Don't try to control things, just let it happen and dont't think about it. Pick a spot out in front of you to focus your eyes on. This is a needed distraction. Sometimes middle of the day can cause problems. Maybe try early or late in the day.

OP
OP
C

Cristian-Marius

Oct 26, 2019
Romania
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Pro. IM 45 coil.
GDI Spectra Long Range.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I did a test at my parents house as they have quite big garden.
I set the freq generator at 5000, 5300 and 5500 hz. Then I started to use the L-Rods.
I've got many hits and in all marked spots I've scanned with my Nokta Impact vlf detector.
All spots where having very rusted nails. Probably more than 30-40 years old.
Also the vlf detector was not showing an iron id, instead sometimes was indicating 40-45 or 70-80.
After cleaning the spot I did a test with wedding rings. It was getting signal to them as well regardless of frequency (5000, 5300 or 5500hz).
So I was not able to discriminate gold vs old iron.
(The ground value when I ground balanced the freq generator was=40).

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to tilt the L-rod tips down three or four cm. This will stabilize them so you only get a solid response.

OP
OP
C

Cristian-Marius

Oct 26, 2019
Romania
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Pro. IM 45 coil.
GDI Spectra Long Range.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try as adviced. Thanks.