CONFEDERATE 12 GAUGE PINFIRE SHELL!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off Happy New Year to everyone! I had a couple of hours to dig this morning. I walked into a little wooded area to try my luck. I got in and started finding junk, pulltabs..Almost left..Then zip zip the sound of lead. Dug down about 6 inches and out pops a 3 ringer. After that I started a grid. I am glad I did. Found more 3 ringers and a Couple of round ball. Right before I left I got a real jumpy Nickel signal on the F75. I almost didn't dig it thinking it was another pulltab..Thats when the 12 Gauge Pinfire shell came to light. I believe it to be an 1861 Eley London 12 gauge pinfire shell. I believe this could be Confederate by origin. I can not believe it survived underground for all these years. I can almost bet i won't dig another one of these in my lifetime. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. Thanks for looking. zaxfire69 :thumbsup:

12 Gauge Pinfire
8b182c60.jpg

Finds cleaned up.
9a7c3d75.jpg

Upvote 4

elee

Sep 25, 2010
In reading my prior post, it sounds a bit like I am implying that Zaxfire's pinfire shell is questionable with regard to CW provenance. This was not my intent. The Confederacy did import pinfire arms from Europe and England during the CW (far more than the Union), and wealthier Confederate combatants brought pinfire arms into battle that were used as sporting arms prior to the war. This fact, combined with the fact that it was found in direct association with some nice looking 3-ringers, would lead me to believe that this is indeed a Confederate pinfire shell. Nice find!
Elee

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Z, I was very curious about your find and I can't find it in the bullet book. Dman and I have dug the 9 and 11mm pin fire pistol bullets and cartridges in U.S. and C.S. sites. I called a friend in Murfreesboro, TN who is a very reputable relic dealer. He confirms that there were single and double barrelled pin fire shotguns used in the CW in different gauges. CONGRATS. He also states that those shotguns were still in use almost to 1900. Since you found CW bullets nearby, it's highly probable that your cartridge is CW.
For those who don't know what a pin fire pistol bullet looks like, I attached a pic of one I dug at a CS camp last Spring (it's the cartridge bullet in group). We need to more carefully check shotgun brass in the future as we have probably thrown some of the pin fire shotgun brass (with the pins broke off) away in the past. WTG, Quindy.

Attachments

• 3-2010 CSA Camp.jpg
    3-2010 CSA Camp.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 866
  • 3-2010 CSA Camp.jpg
    3-2010 CSA Camp.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 830

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the first one I seen.I have dug the pistol Pin fires,but never seen a Shotgun!!!They date back,way back,Pre C.W.

I WAS JUST REMINDED THAT A COUPLE BUDDIES,DUG SEVERAL HERE IN THE WEST.Still an awesome find!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, from everything I've heard they were used by Confederate troops. I saw several of them dug in a Confederate camp at one of the DIV hunts near Culpeper, VA.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great dig Zax....You've been pulling some good one's out lately.Rare find.I looked up an MM# and it come's up "0" and TT has nothing either.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
elee said:
In reading my prior post, it sounds a bit like I am implying that Zaxfire's pinfire shell is questionable with regard to CW provenance. This was not my intent. The Confederacy did import pinfire arms from Europe and England during the CW (far more than the Union), and wealthier Confederate combatants brought pinfire arms into battle that were used as sporting arms prior to the war. This fact, combined with the fact that it was found in direct association with some nice looking 3-ringers, would lead me to believe that this is indeed a Confederate pinfire shell. Nice find!
Elee

Elee Thank you for yor responces Chug And welcome to treasure net!!!! I learned something !!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep that's a nice pin feather I mean pin fire you got there, nice find,vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread