Confederate buttons!!!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I went back to the old spot in town where I found a barber half a while back. Some of you might remember. The good coin signals are getting slim, so we've been starting to dig the odd sounds. This is bringing up some neat relics. I pulled up a button, stuck it in my pocket, and thought little more about it , but then I got online to see if it was something worth smiling about. I searched a bit, and found out I have a valuable "lined C" confederate calvary button! Wow! So...now I'm wondering what my other buttons are...and I find out that one of my best buttons is a Georgia seal button! Also a valuable one. It has most or all of the gilt on it too!

Anyone know much about the Georgia button? The ones I see online are slightly different (the rim around it) and the backmarks are similar, but different. My backmark dates to 1859 to 1863, so it is civil war. I wonder if this one is a rarer one since I can't find an exact match? Any button experts? I never figured I'd pull a $500 button out of the dirt!

Attachments

• IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 704
Upvote 0
S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Hey Cheese!

Nice buttons you have there. I just checked my Tice book and here is what I came up with:

The button is in fact a Georgia Button, with the word "CONSTITUTION" on the banner near the top of the button. In this book, all of the variants have the soldier on the left side of the button EXCEPT for 1 but the backmark is Scovill, not Horstsman. The design of the Scovill is EXACTLY the same as your Horstsman. The Scovill even has a 'lined-field' of gold gilt like yours.

It's number is Tice: GA242A1 and Albert: GA 14

The main comparisons I had were the "rays of light" at the top and the soldier on other variants.

I'm sure someone will post more information on here about it!

Great finds!
Ian

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I haven't found but one Confederate Button in 10 years, and only 4 before that. Yours are just beautiful.

Congrats.

DM

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
the only thing i know about buttons is................

those are awesome !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks SCTeacher! So, only the scoville button has the soldier on the right, but mine isn't a scoville. Apparently there is another variant. ??? Hopefully someone knows something more about it. Any ideas on who I could contact about this button? I'm wondering if it might be a rare variation of some sort?

Know whats strange? There was very little civil war activity in this immediate area. Apparently these were lost after the soldiers came home.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL finds, Cheese! I love finding those old buttons more than finding the old coins.

Many congrats on those finds!!

Nana :)

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I wished that war spilled over the border ;D
HH ;)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
cheese said:
Thanks SCTeacher! So, only the scoville button has the soldier on the right, but mine isn't a scoville. Apparently there is another variant. ??? Hopefully someone knows something more about it. Any ideas on who I could contact about this button? I'm wondering if it might be a rare variation of some sort?

Know whats strange? There was very little civil war activity in this immediate area. Apparently these were lost after the soldiers came home.

Your Backmark is: HORSTMANN BROS & CO. / PHILA 1859-1863

Found another right-side soldier varient by: W. G. MINTZER 1858-1870 that has the rays... with a few details different.

B

BIG61AL

BOOOOOOING! That was my eyes popping out of my head!
That confederate button is frigging super SWEEEEEET!
I would flip if I found something like that. I am so jealous!

My vote for FIND OF THE DAY!!!!!

sweeet!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Great Buttons!!!! This is why I dig yards and old housesites in relic mode on my DFX!!! If it beeps.. dig it! Also, this is a good time to point out that a lot of old buttons had iron backs. If the ground is somewhat stable, the iron may not be completely rusted away and you get a pretty trashy signal... of course you can't dig every signal in someones yard.. otherwise it would look like the moon when your done.. but you only have to pop one good ironback out of the ground before you question every signal!!

Again... great buttons!!! The fact that two different types came out of the yard is good.. really.. really good.. it was not just a soldier coming home after the war... it was at least two different guys..

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks for the replies folks! Anyone know an expert that might be able to help ID the Georgia button? Now that I know it's different, it's killing me to know more about it :D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread