Confederate Gold Mine, Abbeville,SC

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard it told by a guy that states that he was there when this claim was first found. Is it true? I don't know, therefore if you have any knowledge please pass it on. That being said, this is what I was told. Back in the late 1980's or early 1990's he and a couple more guys were out prospecting. He said that they found a small creek (about 1 foot wide) and a wash running into it. He said that there was exposed quartz rock in the wash, so they began to pan. He claims that they sat right there and panned out 21 oz! He claims that he never went back? He stated that gold prices were low back then. Ok, so let's say the spot price was $350.00 and you could sell for $200.00oz. that is still $4200.00 panned in one day..I'd go back!!. Anyway, he went on to say that one of the guys did in fact file for a claim as it was on US Forest Service Land. It toook him 10 years to get all the paperwork approved to mine it, and that it is the ONLY claim allowed East of The Mississippi that is on Government Lands, except those on BLM, say maybe Fla? Now I don't know if any of this is true, but it makes a good STORY. If you have any infomation please pass it on, as I live about 3-5 miles from this claim and am always prospecting the areas around here. Thanks.

Upvote 0

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story hope you hit it big.. I know one thing if I found 21oz in one day i would have gone back and keep hauling it out.. But that's what makes these stories so great you just never know.. Best of luck and HH...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imho, 21 oz. in one day, you'd a never got me to leave!
Relatives and/or friends woulda had to bring food and supplies in to me! :laughing7:

I do hope it's true and you strike it BIG! Just remember to pm me with coordinates when you do.
I'll bring you some food and supplies! :laughing7:

mulefour

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2011
McCormick, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion gold stinger
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Confederate gold mine is there and if you get your permit for panning they give you a map of the areas that are open for pan and shovel only and the area of the mine is excluded on the map.

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
I just can't believe that they found that much gold and never went back especially at today's prices

OP
OP
Sackett

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh the one guy went back, and in fact it is multimillion dollar a year operation now, in fact last year they found the largest nuggent ever found in SC, just goggle Confederate Gold Mine!

OP
OP
Sackett

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh the one guy went back, and in fact it is multimillion dollar a year operation now, in fact last year they found the largest nuggent ever found in SC, just goggle Confederate Gold Mining Co.!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread