Confederate lined A button, 1875 seated

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Was shocked this week to stumble upon this confederate lined A button. it is my first confederate item so I am stoked, but was completely shocked as I was on a old homestead and was not expecting any CW relics. I had dug a union eagle button in the same field last a year ago but I think that was related to a camp or another homesite.

The back is very nice with P.TAIT & CO LIMERICK and a nice intact floating shank.

The seated was dug on the way back to my truck. Yeah I nicked her good. Quite disappointing as I have been quite good recovering relics and coins. Thankfully it is a high mintage/low value coin. Hopefully it teaches me a lesson to slow down and be more careful. Lots of can slaw in these fields and its easy to assume I'm digging more junk.

any ideas about the thing on the left?

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 2

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button!! All that can slaw can make you do that. I know I have rammed and nicked and even cut in half targets. It happens. No idea on the item on left is the bottom bent on purpose?
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nice button!! All that can slaw can make you do that. I know I have rammed and nicked and even cut in half targets. It happens. No idea on the item on left is the bottom bent on purpose?
HH
TnMtns

Pretty sure it is designed like that. Seems to be some kind of hook.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Confederate Lined 'A' ! Wow... congratulations.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! You just never know, do you? I went to a site yesterday hoping to find some CW relics but dug some nice colonial era pieces instead!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a nice old picture rail hook. Old houses with plaster walls had a piece of trim installed about 6 inches from the ceiling called a picture rail. The pictures were suspended from the rails by these hooks.

also posted in the What Is IT forum.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Nice button, never know where they will turn up!

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the kind replies

Thanks for the ID creskol!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button!! Nice picture hanger and seated too. :)

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice button! Just need to get me one of them. And it's hard not to mess up on some hits when you have got all the trash in there. I try to hit the trash spot up first to clean then out. When I have time I well go and just work them to pull it all out. Then on the next Hunt it will be less of the junk to work over. looks like that I'am going out in a few to dig hope to pull some good stuff out today. We had an 1" or 2 of rain so I got2dig.

Very Nice Hunt. HH.

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seated was dug on the way back to my truck. Yeah I nicked her good. Quite disappointing as I have been quite good recovering relics and coins.

Points out a few things. A LOT of good finds are happening on the way BACK to the car. As in, when we're getting ready to quit. Then, it gets nicked.

Why the good finds? Just guessing the same reason there are many nicks around the same time. We're tired, annoyed at the can-slaw ready for getting home and relaxing. So what happens. We slow down, causing a bit slower, more narrower swing. Then, annoyed that we HAVE to dig yet ANOTHER can-slaw when all we wanted was to go home. ;) Which causes us to hurry the pinpoint and dig, (to get it over with :) ).

Interesting how an old mind works, eh? LOL

Excellent finds! I only WISH I had a chance to scratch a seated, ANYTHING! ;)

HH!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND said:
Points out a few things. A LOT of good finds are happening on the way BACK to the car. As in, when we're getting ready to quit. Then, it gets nicked.

Why the good finds? Just guessing the same reason there are many nicks around the same time. We're tired, annoyed at the can-slaw ready for getting home and relaxing. So what happens. We slow down, causing a bit slower, more narrower swing. Then, annoyed that we HAVE to dig yet ANOTHER can-slaw when all we wanted was to go home. ;) Which causes us to hurry the pinpoint and dig, (to get it over with :) ).

HH!

I agree 100%

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

HH!

Lol this is so true!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button. You never know what you will find. In the very early spring, my friend and I were hunting a field here in Northern Illinois when he dug a Mississippi Infantry button. Just last month we were hunting a public park where he dug 2 Union Eagle buttons. Our area just isnt that well known for Civil War artifacts. If he keeps this up, he's gonna have to buy a display case. Congrats.

digginfreek

Oct 21, 2012
south cental pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz7apro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird I too found one in a confederate location... I don't think it was used for picture hanging its way too big for that,I would like to know its use though... IMAG0017.jpg IMAG0017.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread