Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

I recently started collecting US paper currency. I ran across a woman I work with. Her husband recently passed away and he collected US money for 50 years. She said she had some paper notes she will bring in for me to look at. I wasnt expecting CONFEDERATE MONEY!!! Theres a 100 dollar bill, 10 dollar bill, 5, and a 1 dollar bill. The 5 and 10 are in excellent shape! I felt of them and examined them well they appear to be legit to me and everyone else I have shown them to. Thought I would get yall's 2 cents on them. I paid 50.00 for all 4 notes.

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 2,752
  • Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 2,511
  • Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 2,326
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 2,338
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,489
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 2,350
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2,778
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 2,973
  • Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 5,001
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

I don't know much about paper money but they look real to me and likely worth more than their face value. :icon_thumleft:

Woops maybe not.... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what they are worth but nice collector bills. HH, Mike

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Here is a small excerpt from a website that talks about different old collectable currencies.

http://currency.ha.com/c/ref/worth.zx

Confederate Currency
"All genuine Confederate currency has some collector value, although most of the 1864 issue notes are very common (an exception being the $500 note, which is common but popular and is worth from $200 to $400 depending on condition). Earlier issues range from common to rare. All issues from 1861 in Montgomery are very valuable, and we suggest consultation with one of our currency experts if you have such a note. Replicas of Confederate currency are quite common, and are often printed on crisp, brown paper that appears antique. Genuine notes are hand-signed and numbered, and the replicas appear to be hand-signed and numbered as well, although close inspection will easily determine that the signatures on replicas are printed in the same ink as on the rest of the bill. Contemporary counterfeits made to circulate at the time of issue have collector value ranging from $10 to $100 or more depending on condition and the specific circumstances of issue."

Another good link to start with....
http://www.csacurrency.com/csacur/index.htm

OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info... I do believe them to be real to their age. their incredible pieces. great add on to my collection!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
olekyground said:
Thanks for all the info... I do believe them to be real to their age. their incredible pieces. great add on to my collection!

Now what you need are the authentic Confederate gold and silver coins to complement those paper bills! Excellent score my friend! :notworthy:

OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I can only imagine lol

Alarmadillo

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Looks like several have "FACSIMILE" printed on the backs. Sorry, but they're most likely very nice copies.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Alarmadillo said:
Looks like several have "FACSIMILE" printed on the backs. Sorry, but they're most likely very nice copies.

Sadly, Alarmadillo is right. If you look on the back in the lower left side (just to the right of the denomination), it says "FACSIMILE". Nice reproductions for a collection. Hopefully, the $5 note is the real deal - regardless, like I said, great for a collection or to throw in a display with some nice relics... :icon_thumright:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't see facsimile on the $5 but the paper doesn't look right. The crumbling of the edge and color looks more like regular paper than the "rag" paper banknotes are made from.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good find regardless :icon_thumleft: they would look great in any CW display box along with relics :thumbsup: Jim

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I can't believe I missed that either! Oh, this is seriously enbarrassing, I got excited over nothing. :-[

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The $5 is definitely a fake too. A good tip with these is to Google the serial number. Originals were all numbered differently, the fakes usually made them with the same, so if you find others with the same number it is a definite fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions