Upvote 0

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
$50 range in decent condition. Still a cool bill.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A genuine Confederate $20 in circulated condition is worth in the $30 something range. This piece unfortunately is a replica. If you look near the lower left 20 on the reverse you can see the word "facsimile".

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
A genuine Confederate $20 in circulated condition is worth in the $30 something range. This piece unfortunately is a replica. If you look near the lower left 20 on the reverse you can see the word "facsimile".
Ahh! What a bummer!

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Back when I was REAL young comic books often sold 1 million dollars of Confederate money for about $3. I had a bunch and went to give it to the guy driving the Good Humor (ice cream) truck. He must have thought I had stolen it from my dads collection or some such. He not only took it ($10 for an ice cream bar) but asked if I had more. I told him yes but not with me. The next day when he came back he had a different attitude about my "Confederate" money. Now he didn't want it. Evidentally he had shown it to someone that realized that he had been had. That day I had to pay with "Yankee" money. It's funny now but he was a victim of his own greed.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Whitman, the folks that make coin books, printed those up in the 60s if I remember correctly. Maybe to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Civil War ? Hell if I can remember. Cool to look at but not worth much if anything. Always look first for the "facsimile" printed on them & then if you don't see that look to make sure the signature is hand signed. If so you "might" have a real one but there are more fakes out there than genuine bills so buyer beware.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also google the serial number, most of the known fakes are listed.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
There was a lot of that reproduction money in early 60's. They even had bubble gum cards w/ battles etc. like baseball cards. Wish my Mom hadn't thrown out my stack of them. Our weekly readers also had "on this date 100 years ago".

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paratrooper said:
Back when I was REAL young comic books often sold 1 million dollars of Confederate money for about $3. I had a bunch and went to give it to the guy driving the Good Humor (ice cream) truck. He must have thought I had stolen it from my dads collection or some such. He not only took it ($10 for an ice cream bar) but asked if I had more. I told him yes but not with me. The next day when he came back he had a different attitude about my "Confederate" money. Now he didn't want it. Evidentally he had shown it to someone that realized that he had been had. That day I had to pay with "Yankee" money. It's funny now but he was a victim of his own greed.
That really is way too funny! Love that story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions