Confederate Picket Post?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
From what I have learned so far most pickets should have used .69 cal. for picket duty. Given the conditions of the Confederate troops in this area I feel it is not the case for alot of the Confederate pickets here.
I went up into the hills to find a large CSA winter camp. I knew where the stream was where this camp was supposed to be located. I found a small field along the stream and started finding Enfield rounds and Round Balls. Everything that I found was within 150 square foot. I had my doubts that this was the site since there was no way this small field could support the amount of troops, horses and artillery that was in this brigade. 1 mile away from the small field there is a field that could support the brigade, but it's not against the stream. 1/2 a mile south of the field there is a much larger field that could support an army or two. 1 mile north of the small field there is a field that is large enough to support a brigade and it touches the stream. 1 mile north of there is another field that touches a branch of the stream but is named differently. But the two fields north of this small field would not match up to the distance away from the nearest town mentioned in the records, but then again if I hunt the fields south of the small field they aren't on the stream that it mentions in the records.
Is it possible that I found the picket post for the main encampment?

Upvote 0

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, its quite possible that you found a picket post. Most of the distances mentioned in the ORs are approximations anyway. Congratulations, you're on your way to finding the camp. I would listen to your hunches and hunt small representative areas of each of the fields you mentioned. You'll know when you've found the camp from some of the stuff you'll recover and you just might find more than one camp, as not all of the camps were mentioned in the ORs.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good point on the distance approximation's Bill,they can be a little off one way or the other.Do some "testing" like BB said,you should be able to narrow it down according to your find's.It might take you a while but it will be worth it in the long run.I wish you could just go right to the site's,but that would too easy.Best of Luck to Ya!!

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like this kind of detective work. Were the bullets drops? If so that is always a good sign of a camp. Slow down your swings and listen for deep signals. As suggested, you need to do samples from the other areas. Use very little discrimination and see if you start digging square nails and tacks, another good sign. To me, all the investigating is nearly as rewarding as the digging when you finally find the site you are looking for! Good luck!
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread