Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn right!! Looks like a "Breckinridge" style plate :icon_thumright: Great save!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It resembles a double die stamping from the US Mint. I Also agree it's a Breckenridge. The doubling of the letters is a little odd.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its dinged up some and there may just be an illusion of double stamping . didn't notice that in hand at all. I dug it on a hill side overlooking the Brazos river in an amazing I down site.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I like it! The doubling I was looking at is on the top sides of the C and also the S.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I never saw one before. Had no idea what it was. Almost ended up in a trash pile.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It translates to a decent downpayment on a new car...

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send the pictures to Harry Ridgeway along with measurements of width and height. He is pretty knowledgeable on civil war stuff. I don't know enough about buckles to say one way or another. I hope it is the real deal. I would also clean the back a little to better show the attachment points. A toothbrush would do the job.

[email protected]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send the pictures to Harry Ridgeway. He is pretty knowledgeable on civil war stuff. I don't know enough about buckles to say one way or another. I hope it is the real deal. I would also clean the back a little to better show the attachment points. A toothbrush would do the job.

[email protected]

It cleaned up pretty nice. Those pics were in the field before it was even washed. We were doing a screen dig and I put it on a screen table for a fellow. He asked me if I knew what it might be and I suggested it might be off a belt buckle. We were near college station tx and the supposition was the CS was for college station. He pitched it down but my gut feel was that it was old since I dug it in Indian context. I told My partner who owns the property about it and we did a little Google search and found out what it was. He got it and I think the digger was already gone. I know he paid the guy something and gave him some free days digging even though it was presumed trash at that point .

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked through the one book I have on plates and buckles and, if yours is the real deal, it is a Breckinridge plate. In the book "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874" by Sydney C. Kerksis the Breckinridge plate shows 4 variations and are found on pages 284-287. To me, your plate most closely resembles figure 277.
Provenance: Confederate States
Type: waist belt plate
Perios 1861-1865
Method of Manufacture: die stamped
Weight: about 1 ounce
material: copper
Dimensions: about 2.24 x 3.40 inches
58 x 87millimeters

They are called "Breckinridge" plates as what few specimens have been recovered in Virginia were in positions occupied by the division of that Confederate commander. This variety is the only oval "CS" plate with the belt hooks under the "S" and is quite rare.

I looked at your pictures again and noticed what looks like a triple stamping especially on the "C"

Attachments

• CS buckle.jpg
    CS buckle.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no chance its anything but real. I dug it without a clue what it was in a remote area indian camp. Not like someone planted a fake there on the off chance someone happened to dig there some day

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not saying it is fake. I hope it is real. You said your friend still has it so get it and measure it and look to see if it has been stamped more than once. Just because it may have been double or triple stamped does not make it a fake. If anything, in my mind, it would make it rarer and that much nicer.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not saying it is fake. I hope it is real. You said your friend still has it so get it and measure it and look to see if it has been stamped more than once. Just because it may have been double or triple stamped does not make it a fake. If anything, in my mind, it would make it rarer and that much nicer.
I see what you are saying. Yeah he still has it in the site collection.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are numbers on it

Attachments

• IMG95May28.jpg
    IMG95May28.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 67

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one heck of a nice find! If I were you, I'd be back out there with a metal detector. That plate may not be the only civil war relic out there. Good luck.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one heck of a nice find! If I were you, I'd be back out there with a metal detector. That plate may not be the only civil war relic out there. Good luck.
There were 9 undamaged lead bullets probably 45 cal in the same dirt. Also some decayed unidentified leather and a small brass buckle I presumed off a horse bridle at the time. Now I'm guessing it was an actual belt buckle and the bullets were in a bag on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread