Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone here investigated this ? Every time I travel Rt.460(and look at those train tracks) going through Appomattox Va. My mind cant help wonder.Did it happen,or not.And if it did ,where is all that treasure.
>>

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. Makes you think!!
Yeah.And if it did happen the loot would of weighed tons(possibly hundreds of barrels) of gold/silver .So one would think it was hidden not too far from the existing train tracks,of the time.Someplace between Richmond,Appomattox,& Danville Va.Someplace along these tracks.
> Railroads of the Civil War

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Bedford County, Va.; drop-off was at THAXON SWITCH, according to Peter Viemeister in THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, pg. 168-172; ALSO... his last book on the Beale Treasure... CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVERUP: Duty, Honor, & Deceit. HH! Good Luck! ANOTHER good Book is by J. Frank Carroll... CONFEDERATE TREASURE IN DANVILLE (VA). TWO CD Books (e-books) LOST TREASURY GOLD (CSA) and CONFEDERATE TREASURE IN DANVILLE, BOTH by Albert Atwell from Ridgeway, Va. (near Danville).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Treasure found & utilized to re-build Lexington, Va. & VMI (VA Military Institute), which "Yank" Gen. "Black Dave" Hunter burned to the ground; it was ONLY the Western Va. portion of the CSA Treasury, as the CT "bits & pieces" were used to pay the REBEL Troops through-out the SOUTH.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel-KGC ......So what's your thoughts on this subject ?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Posts" #5 & 6... AND! The Rail Road DID go by Appomattox from the Petersburg/Richmond, Va. "area", into Lynchburg, Va. (Virginia & Tennessee Rail Road); once in Lynchburg, Va., it went on to Lowesville/Bedford/Thaxon/Montvale/Roanoke via what is known TODAY, as the Blackwater Creek Hiking & Biking Trail... which is AWESOME! It has carvings on the Bluffs along that old RR "BED". I found "1884", MANY initials, "Scale of Liberty"; Liberty was once the name of the Town of BEDFORD, Va. THAXON SWITCH is "KEY" to the MYSTERY for me; since YOU are from SML (wife & I go there, at times), YOU can do R & I on all this & "see for yourself". HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
been checking this guy and 2 others ie: beale T
Confederate States Secretary of the Treasury
George Alfred Trenholm
In office July 1, 1864 – April 27, 1865
arrest june 19/20, 1865 @ home in abbeville
pardoned i think sept/oct 1865
wouldnt say where all the $$ were, some he funneled back to
home co. in liverpool
some info links old np articles

The New York herald., June 21, 1865
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...renholm&andtext=&dateFilterType=range&page=12

a search not sure will work
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...t=&dateFilterType=range&page=1&sort=relevance

[h=1][/h]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of at least six people who have heavily hunted the rail lines between Richmond/Petersburg and Appomattox, and also somewhat farther out. I even went with one gentleman a few times. That was eons ago. A few times we were so far in the woods it was just plain scary, especially if you jump an 800 pound Tom Turkey and he tears out and flies away. No, he wasn't really that big, but he was only 20 feet away when he bolted and I thought a freight train was after me. The Richmond/Petersburg to Appomattox rail line has been pounded to death by MD'ers. Most of them didn't go more than one mile from the line, a lot of good items have been found. No caches of Confederate gold. I think it's been long gone.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if a records check (for that time frame) ( and in the area) Would show Someone who all of a sudden became wealthy :)?

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per "Post # 12... NONE reported; MAY have been "planned" that way, dunno...

Hey Rebel ....Do happen to know how long that train stopped in Appomattox ? Think I read someplace it was two days.Before continuing on its journey.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hey Rebel ....Do happen to know how long that train stopped in Appomattox ? Think I read someplace it was two days.Before continuing on its journey.
Not certain... we had TWO train trips from Richmond, Va. to Lynchburg; 1st in 1863 for the body of Gen. Stonewall Jackson's body, to be conveyed to Lexington, Va. by packet-boat via the James River; then in 1865 as Richmond, Va. "fell" to the Yanks. Lynchburg, Va. became STATE CAPITAL of Virginia, & ALL "Stores" ($$$$$$$$$) from Richmond, Va. was sent here; April 6-10, 1865; April 6th was "moving day" & April 7-10, 1865 were "state operations" days. Don't know about Appomattox; have YOU ever been to the "Surrender Grounds" (OLD Appomattox aka Appomattox Courthouse)...? THAT village was/is about a MILE from the RR depot. SO... LYNCHBURG is MORE important, as far as the Confederate Treasury goes.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
VERY interesting "points" of CW History; Yanks were marching towards L'burg, Va. (LAST state capital of VIRGINIA); STOPPED in their "Track"... with the SURRENDER, TWO weeks after L'burg became State Capital of Va. Ppl in L'burg were "up to something" (MHO).

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not certain... we had TWO train trips from Richmond, Va. to Lynchburg; 1st in 1863 for the body of Gen. Stonewall Jackson's body, to be conveyed to Lexington, Va. by packet-boat via the James River; then in 1865 as Richmond, Va. "fell" to the Yanks. Lynchburg, Va. became STATE CAPITAL of Virginia, & ALL "Stores" ($$$$$$$$$) from Richmond, Va. was sent here; April 6-10, 1865; April 6th was "moving day" & April 7-10, 1865 were "state operations" days. Don't know about Appomattox; have YOU ever been to the "Surrender Grounds" (OLD Appomattox aka Appomattox Courthouse)...? THAT village was/is about a MILE from the RR depot. SO... LYNCHBURG is MORE important, as far as the Confederate Treasury goes.

Yeah I've been to the house where they surrendered.And to the small RR station in Appomattox a couple times.Also stopped at some gift shop by there that had/still has two 6 pound cannons in the yard.But he wont sell em :(

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice