Confederate Whitworth Bullet

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A fairly rare bullet to find. Took me 20+ years. Knew exactly what it was when I pulled the plug away and saw it in the hole. It's a .45 cal (fired) and 1.25ish" in length. I believe the whitworth rifle has a range of over 1000 yards. Some Confederate sharpshooter taking aim at some Federal trooper for sure based on the location I was in. Wonder if it hit its mark???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 12

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a slug! congratulations.I think fairly rare is a understatement.That bullet is 'rare'.Nice!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Very uncommon round, excellent find. I'm trying to narrow down a rifle pit near my house that would definitely have required some long-range marksmanship to hit the Union lines, so maybe with a little luck (okay, lots and lots of luck) I can match your find.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a great find! Take a magnifying glass and look at the receiving end of the bullet. It may show some material impressions on it. I have fired pistol balls that show material impressions but that was from the patch. So if it was on the pistol ball it may be on the business end of the bullet...d2

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of history in that one bullet. We have an area here where they set up and dropped the mules and men from across the Tennessee river with Whitworths. Caused log jams for days. That bullet deserves a case of its own.You can see the hexagonal twist from the barrel!

sorahc

Feb 7, 2013
Nice! I've been hunting for years and I have not found one of those. Now you have to find the buttons from the shooter!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A rare puppy for sure Johnny. I have not dug one but the general area you hunt had some Rebels who could sure fire that bullet in 1864. Congrats, Q.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool. And all this time, I thought H&K pioneered polygonal rifling. Done larnt somethin' new.

OP
OP
Jpro

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpg
Nice! I've been hunting for years and I have not found one of those. Now you have to find the buttons from the shooter!

I found the buttons first.. LoL

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the twist pattern on that thing! Very cool. That's a great piece of both Civil War history and the history of gun technology. :thumbsup:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rare puppy for sure Johnny. I have not dug one but the general area you hunt had some Rebels who could sure fire that bullet in 1864. Congrats, Q.
don't know if you are familiar with the battle of Spotsylvania .But there was a confederate sniper that plucked off , i think it was a union officer from about 2 miles from a tree top with a whitworth.It is in the history books.From what I remember reading the union army knew they where getting fired on from a sniper.The officer said that reb couldn't hit the brawed side of a elephants a.ss ,and by the time he finished that sentence that was the end for him.

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with DigIron. Whoa Jack! "Fairly rare"??? That's a bucket list item I realistically NEVER expect to maneuver under my coil.

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read an article about the rifle on wikipedia and mention the story of the battle.....good lord thats a very powerful rifle

RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions