conglomerant rock found at dig site.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock weighs about 20 lbs. Found it at bottom of a bank where it came to rest and dug some in the bank but could not find exactly where it came from. Has a lot of green in it and sparkles all over. Think its quartz and would like to bust it to see what is inside. Has a few holes that I can see inside through loope and there are green pointed crystals inside. Wife says I can bust it but I haven't found another place to live yet so I won't. Thanks for looking. From rock collection Sep 27 2014 041.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 042.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 045.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 046.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 048.JPG

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey- now that I understand where you're from, check out this page and see what you think. there's an example from Carroll County if you scroll down. HH! Yak

Mineral Gallery from Virginia

Yakker I know what I am about to say and its not listed in the carroll county list. I have been doing a study on this rock and looking at the inside through the little holes through my Loop in it all I can see inside is crystal with a bluegreen tint. The outside sparkles all over that can't be seen in the photos and my study tells me it may be Peridotite. The small crystals are brighter than any quartz I have. Like crystalline. The green is not true green but it is blue green. If it is Olivine then my study I found that Olivine crystals are very rare.Also found out that Ultramafic rocks are in this area. I was thinking Aquamarine and if it is that then the whole 21 lb rock must be that because every side and inside seems to be crystal. I will keep trying to find out more. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you should show a geologist this stone. Peridotite I can rule out, same goes for olivine. Epidote would be a better guess, but that doesn't look right either.

I'd suggest a hardness test - SW might be right on flourite.
Apophyllite could also be, which on a quick look might look like quartz. Also fairly low hardness.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread