Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really the vibe going on here that this find should probably get! And I will admit that auction price sure snuck up on me.

Holy! Your not kidding. This is a great find. I just seen that auction price too. Wow

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't get a chance to give it a real thorough look, but here's one I scanned from one of my references. It was an AU.
1787 37.6-B CT.jpg

Attachments

• 1787 37.6-B.jpg
    1787 37.6-B.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
leddel, the coins sold in the Stack's sale was listed as belonging to SLT. I knew Steve for 25 years. If you are not aware, he was run down in by a carjacker who had stabbed 3 other people. Steve was known nationally as a token expert, but his collecting passion was Connecticuts. His name was Steve Tannenbaum and he lived in Brooklyn. It was a shame to see his coins sold as a result of some lunatic. The crazy man did get sentenced to 200 years in prison. See: Maksim Gelman | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers I've personally examined 3 specimens including the finest known which was sold in the Stack's sale of the Oechsner collection sold in Sept 1988. I've never seen the one in the ANS in Manhattan.

Don the pictures i posted of the other one came from a stacks auction back in january of last year , notice the final price ....

https://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=305725

Thanks IP does metal composition make them any more rare ?? this coin reads about 20vdi numbers lower that any of my other Connecticut coppers (13 of them) , they read between + 79 an +82 on my dfx while this Connecticut reads +58 very similar to an Indian head penny. this one also has that nice patina that we see on indian heads . what are the chances this coin is made of some debased metal or out of bronze??

Dan

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really the vibe going on here that this find should probably get! And I will admit that auction price sure snuck up on me.

Not quite sure but this might be the rarest Conn copper posted on this forum and the good news is, not too bad of shape, considering ground factors. I remember when my son found his first Conn copper in 1987 (He was only 17 at the time) a 1787 M.36.k-3, only 3-4 were known at that time, but his is nowhere near the condition, detail wise as Dan's Conn is. But still, it showed us that the extremely rare coppers were out there to find and of course my son(LOL another Dan) followed up a few years later by finding a Vermont Ryder 1...

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
leddel, the coins sold in the Stack's sale was listed as belonging to SLT. I knew Steve for 25 years. If you are not aware, he was run down in by a carjacker who had stabbed 3 other people. Steve was known nationally as a token expert, but his collecting passion was Connecticuts. His name was Steve Tannenbaum and he lived in Brooklyn. It was a shame to see his coins sold as a result of some lunatic. The crazy man did get sentenced to 200 years in prison. See: Maksim Gelman | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers I've personally examined 3 specimens including the finest known which was sold in the Stack's sale of the Oechsner collection sold in Sept 1988. I've never seen the one in the ANS in Manhattan.

Don , i'm very sorry to hear about your friend Steve .
i'm very appreciative of the information on the coin.

Hey Patch , my track record with the banner is comical at best :laughing7: I don't worry about it anymore but thanks anyways friend .

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can say BANNER again. I've only been a member of this great site for a short time, and this copper is the most awesome item I've seen so far. It gives the rest of us hope in one day making a score half as good as this one is. Makes me want to grab the flashlight and start swinging now :-)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Congrats are in order! Awesome rare find! Nice!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
A banner find trying to sneak by? Not if I can help it! You've got my vote. Fantastic find!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don, I'm familiar with that story from watching this a while back. Anyone who wants to know the story give it a view. It's hard to wrap your head around how something can happen like that, or maybe how someone can do stuff like that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a great coin. To be honest I think I would be pretty excited to find a coin of that age and condition. Congratulations sir.

[h=1]Bidding Closed:[/h]
Final Bid:
$25,875*
Session Closed.

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those coin finds, that if you looked in the Red Book guide, would sit in your coin box forever. BUT......With the knowledge and help, in this forum, it turns out is a truly RARE find. With all of the Conn collectors in C-4, you would not have a very hard time at auction, (or privately), selling it. Obviously, condition sensitive, lower Rarity Conn's., command a premium. Eventhough yours is a ground find, (and really not bad condition), the rarity trumps all that. I've found 14 Conn coppers. The highest rarity a 5. Sold it for $80 on Ebay. I try to stay away from ID Conn.'s as they DRIVE ME NUTS! Congrats on a truly RARE Find. BANNER VOTE IN! HOGGE:goldtrophy::coins::goldpan:

Last edited:
OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
I just wanted to say thanks to all that helped with confirming the id of this Connecticut its great to have a second or third opinion on things your really not sure of , Thanks

This is one of those coin finds, that if you looked in the Red Book guide, would sit in your coin box forever. BUT......With the knowledge and help, in this forum, it turns out is a truly RARE find. With all of the Conn collectors in C-4, you would not have a very hard time at auction, (or privately), selling it. Obviously, condition sensitive, lower Rarity Conn's., command a premium. Eventhough yours is a ground find, (and really not bad condition), the rarity trumps all that. I've found 14 Conn coppers. The highest rarity a 5. Sold it for $80 on Ebay. I try to stay away from ID Conn.'s as they DRIVE ME NUTS! Congrats on a truly RARE Find. BANNER VOTE IN! HOGGE:goldtrophy::coins::goldpan:

:laughing7::laughing7: I agree Hogge the '87's can be a real pain in the @$$ to id a lot of the times , it was nice to see you chime in , i've got a few nice coppers over the years now an have been contemplating on selling some ,i'm not much of a coin collector ( love the relics much more). thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread