RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I previously posted the coin in the "What is it" forum and it was confirmed that it was a Connecticut copper. Pretty neat find here in Maryland. I don't know if this coin is considered rare or not but its now one of my best and favorite finds. Trying to figure out a good way of getting the rest of the dirt off the coin without losing the green patina. If it cannot be done then I will leave it as is. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• Coin.JPG
    Coin.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 686
  • Coin1.JPG
    Coin1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 679
  • Coin.JPG
    Coin.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 666
  • Coin1.JPG
    Coin1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a cool bluish green patina, do a VERY hot peroxide. Only dipping the q tips in, and then follow it up with icy cold water. I've experimented with all kinds of different techniques....even wire brushes. Sometimes the strangest things create awesome results. BUt use your own discretion, I to have destroyed coins...but have learned alot from my mistakes. A good judicial cleaning will not decrease the value in a dug copper. Only if you maul it.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:
For example, my indian head had a nice brown patina. I used olive oil and it is now pitted and has orange spots.

Determining what works for what condition is the biggest part of cleaning finds, so if you're making mistakes like that it's obvious you're not done learning.

PS: JUST SAYIN'! :wink:

We're never done learning. :help:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:
For example, my indian head had a nice brown patina. I used olive oil and it is now pitted and has orange spots.

Determining what works for what condition is the biggest part of cleaning finds, so if you're making mistakes like that it's obvious you're not done learning.

PS: JUST SAYIN'! :wink:

We're never done learning. :help:

Yes, so keep paying attention. ;D

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes master! :whip2:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting a nice looking Conn copper, to me it looks like it will date as Leddel said, 1787. I would not leave the coin as is, if you are afraid to try peroxide, that is up to you, if you use Olive Oil, no problem from what I see although I will never use it again as primary source of removing dirt. I did so for 20 years and regret now doing so on many of the coppers and buttons I have done.

Born2Dtect, I ID'd your Conn copper back on Feb 23rd on your post..........

Don

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on getting a nice looking Conn copper, to me it looks like it will date as Leddel said, 1787. I would not leave the coin as is, if you are afraid to try peroxide, that is up to you, if you use Olive Oil, no problem from what I see although I will never use it again as primary source of removing dirt. I did so for 20 years and regret now doing so on many of the coppers and buttons I have done.

Born2Dtect, I ID'd your Conn copper back on Feb 23rd on your post..........

Don

Same here. Olive oil ruined the look of my IH. :( Peroxide over all was the best, but still never gave me the result people said it would. With this coin in particular, being that it's well over 200 years old...it's scary to think of putting it in hot peroxide!! If it's a keepsake for yourself, do as you wish I'd say. But if you look to sell it, maybe look into proffesionally having it cleaned if you're afraid of damaging it(even though it is a dug coin).

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:

Now I just need to find some coppers that are worth cleaning!

I know right? Everyday there is a new post on here that someone is finding a connecticut copper. :argue:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:

I know right? Everyday there is a new post on here that someone is finding a connecticut copper. :argue:

I found 3 CTs in my first few years and not once since! Must be 8 years since my last.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:

I found 3 CTs in my first few years and not once since! Must be 8 years since my last.
I've been on a hot streak and dug 5 in 2 weeks. It's a crazy roller coaster ride metal detecting is.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:
Iron Patch said:
matt092079 said:

I've been on a hot streak and dug 5 in 2 weeks. It's a crazy roller coaster ride metal detecting is.
Ya got that right Mister HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You Dawg!!!! Great coin from around here especially :icon_thumright: Do what you will with it,It's Your's :thumbsup:

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Just to add to the already numerous comments about whether to clean your coin or not. One of the factors that was not listed is, the condition of the coin will largely depend on the soil it was pulled from. My Dad and I have cleaned many coins with lemon juice, and while the patina usually comes off, some will clean up very nicely where others turn out pitted. The only explanation is the acidity of the soil where they were found. So, whether you use peroxide, lemon juice, or olive oil(there are other methods not listed) do so at your own risk. I personally would probably use the warmed peroxide with a q-tip and a water rinse afterwards. It's really a matter of preferrence and your willingness to take risks.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Copper!!!
Congrats!!

Joe

Top Member Reactions