Connecticut Metal Detector Shops Whats Up?

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connecticut Metal Detector Shops What's Up?

So as some of you know I'm looking for a MD and thought might be nice to go to a shop and see a few, feel the balance, weight, not sure but I'm thinking they might have some coins buried to get an idea. So I went to 3 shops in CT and all three not open. The first two, there was no one in the office, there were signs on the door, the last one I went to was at a house and when I pulled in at 3:30 (thats when they open) someone told me to come back around 5:00, couldn't wait around. They have impressive websites but sometimes you want to hold something before you buy. Does anyone know of a place in CT or just over the border, where you can see these MD's and try them out ? BTW I left the names of the shops out, I'm not looking to bash, just trying to find a good shop, I figure if you have gone into a good shop then you could tell me, if you have run into the same problem I have then you know where I've been.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So as some of you know I'm looking for a MD and thought might be nice to go to a shop and see a few, feel the balance, weight, not sure but I'm thinking they might have some coins buried to get an idea. So I went to 3 shops in CT and all three not open. The first two, there was no one in the office, there were signs on the door, the last one I went to was at a house and when I pulled in at 3:30 (thats when they open) someone told me to come back around 5:00, couldn't wait around. They have impressive websites but sometimes you want to hold something before you buy. Does anyone know of a place in CT or just over the border, where you can see these MD's and try them out ? BTW I left the names of the shops out, I'm not looking to bash, just trying to find a good shop, I figure if you have gone into a good shop then you could tell me, if you have run into the same problem I have then you know where I've been.

Now that you have learned a valuable lesson, "let your fingers do the walking," call the shop BEFORE you drive over, and set up a personal appointment.

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar experience here in WA State. For year I drove by a place on 4th Ave and once I decided to buy a detector I went up there and they were gone.

I found a place in Renton Wa associated with the Renton Coin shop. I stopped in and the door was locked. I knocked and nothing. A sign said to try the coin shop across the street and someone there came over to help me - certainly not your typical storefront method of operation.

It ended up working out great and I bought an Ace 250 from them. They had several machines available for me to feel and try, and they will rent you some machines for the weekend to try.

I've gone back a few times for accessories and next spring I plan on renting a Sand Shark to try with SCUBA.

Bottom line lesson for me is always call first. EK

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Get used to it. The day and age of brick & mortar detector dealers (actual stores, or at least guys selling as a hobby out of their garage work-bench, etc...) is in big decline. In the last 10 or 15 yrs, it seems the internet has pushed out anyone who wants to be a dealer. Sure you don't get to handle and feel multiple models, air test, etc... at a counter somewhere. But there are/were just too few people who appreciated that ....... and preferred ..... instead ...... to save $$ by buying at discount catalogue places on line.

Even brick & mortar clubs are also going by the way-side, and people do their socializing, bragging, researching on machines, settings, Q&A, etc.... all on the internet. Used to be you'd have to wait to the monthly meeting to bounce ideas off your buddies, or show off what you found, etc.... Now it's instananeous, and ... spelling the end to dealers, clubs, etc.... Except if you're in a really big city perhaps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread