Conservation Areas?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Is it legal to hunt conservation areas/wildlife refuges?...We have several in my area that have many old foundations in them. I have seen some detectorists in the areas close to the road where they have a 3-D bow-shoot(looking for lost arrows). But I want to go farther in to look around the foundations....

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I do it, and no one's ever said anything to my friends & I :icon_scratch: Although I suppose it's one of those things or places that if you asked enough people, and kept going high enough up the ladder, you'd eventually find someone to tell you "no". Heck, if you ask enough people if you can detect your own front yard, you'll eventually find someone to tell you "no". So the moral of the story is .....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
In many of the DNR controlled hunter conservation areas around here you can get a permit to detect. Some of these have good old homesites on them also.

OP
OP
lairmo

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
The conservation area that I want to hunt is next to an old military base and there have been explosives found in the ground a few miles away. So it's probably a no-no, but there are SO many old foundations around there...(sigh)

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I ask a DNR officer about detecting on state land and he said it's ok on land open to the public. but state parks is another matter some allow and some don't hope this helps you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread