Considering a new digital camera - what should I get?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Frankn said:
The pictal count can be deseptive. The image sensor in a point and shoot is about the size of your nail on your pinkey. The image sensor in the Sony alpha NEX5 is a true APS C size, the same size used in some high end Canon and Nikon cameras. The larger the sensor, the more light each pictal can capture. The NEX 5 can be purchased with a zoom as a package in your price range and the image resolution far exceeds any point and shoot camera. Frank

No doubt. Agreed - sensor size has direct relationship to image quality as well as the sensors "range" (ISO). Pixel count drives FILE size and the DISPLAYED image size..............................

Diggem'

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Diggemall, I was just trying to steer Ironpatch towars a camera I think he could live with for a long time. That Sony with a floppy he is using was a very good camera when it came out and through all the mods that followed. When he said he was using that I knew he wouldn't be happy with a point and shoot even though a lot of them would do the job. As far as image size, I have been spoiled by Photoshop Elements. As far as ISO I usually shoot at 400. I think my Canon goes to 32K. That is starting to be advertising hype among the pros. Hope he gets something he can enjoy. Frank

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, just a suggestion. If you are going to use it outdoors, get one with a physical 'optical viewer'. Many times the screen will be washed out in the sunlight or strong open shade. also it is faster.

Don Jose de La Mancha

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Frankn said:
Diggemall, I was just trying to steer Ironpatch towars a camera I think he could live with for a long time. That Sony with a floppy he is using was a very good camera when it came out and through all the mods that followed. When he said he was using that I knew he wouldn't be happy with a point and shoot even though a lot of them would do the job. As far as image size, I have been spoiled by Photoshop Elements. As far as ISO I usually shoot at 400. I think my Canon goes to 32K. That is starting to be advertising hype among the pros. Hope he gets something he can enjoy. Frank

Hey Frank

I know. There are so many choices out there, and you're right; one really has to have a good idea what they WANT from the camera. Some of the "point & shoots" are as good and as flexible as a DSLR only w/o the physical bulk and lacking the ability to change lenses (although that's changing, too). As for the "extended" ISO range, the only PRACTICAL application I have seen for it has been in the realm of deep sky astrophotography. It's too bad a person can't "test drive" cameras for a day or two...............

Diggem'

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
IP, when I go through the process of trying to get a camera that fits my needs, I use this website, great in-depth reviews, photos, etc........

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/

I use Canon cameras, but the best digital I ever had for closeups was a Nikon, but the dang thing broke about one month out of warranty and Nikon wanted almost as much to fix it as it cost in the first place! Been a Canon users ever since...............

Don

I'm looking/considering a Canon PowerShot SX150IS (12x zoom)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...sx150-is/canon-powershot-sx150-is-review.html

I don't need a crazy macro feature, as in I don't need to make the date on a coin as big as my computer screen. So I think most cameras will do the job well and am more interested in it being easy to use, and a focus that locks fast on a coin and lets you shoot. Those pics I sent you recently are from a camera using a floppy disc.. :laughing7: So if I can make that work I figure I should eventually be able to make a new one work as well and better.

I'll definitely check out that site!
Ip if the sx150 -IS is anything like the one I have which is the sx130-IS then I think you would be happy.I'm happy with mine as I can put the lens on a object & it will focus.Of course lighting has alot to do with pics. & is why I like taking my shots outside when possible.I think I gave little over $250.00 for mine & I'm happy with it myself.But it will eat the 2 AA batteries up pretty quick so keeping batteries is a must.Which isn't no big deal as I buy the 36 pack of rayovac batteries & use them in the detector as well.To me they work just as good as the others.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 516

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Iron Patch, in all honesty, if you really want a good camera, you have to understand that all the pro's use 'SLR' cameras. They use detachable lenses. Anything that isn't and SLR, is more or less just a pocket camera not meant for anything other than posting pics on facebook... You have to accept that first and foremost.
Next, there are only two lines of SLRs that pros' use... Either Canon or Nikon. They are both great camera lines. They both have equally great quality. I have a canon. But, I bought my GF a nikon, only because her father passed and left her a lot of older manual nikon lenses.
Trust me... if you are asking the question "I'm looking to upgrade my camera"... it means that you should go SLR. Do a little research on SLR and I'm sure that you'll thank me.

edit: one thing that has always buged me, is when these 'pocket' camera makers make their camera's look like SLR's. I feel like it's tricking the consumer to buy their camera... but, you are only buying just another cheap pocket camera that's only good for posting pictures on Facebook and the like..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I do some pro work and I use a SLR, a Canon. My next camera will not be a SLR as they are made today. They have a mirror that flips every time you take a picture which promotes camera shake. Some of the newer high end cameras have a mirror that both reflects and passes light at the same time. Cannon had one in the past but the technology was not ready yet. Now Sony has prefected and brought out new models with it. Sony has also brought out the smallest camera with changeable lenses. It is the Alpha NEX5. It has dispensed with the mirror completely. It is at the peak of the technology of cameras. You can take a panorama shot by merely pressing the button and turning about 120. The camera patcher it all together in camera automatically. It takes full dynamic range pictures automatically. The rear viewing screen is live and pivots. The construction is magnesium. This camera will almost fit in the palm of your hand. It has been named camera of the year many mags. such as American Photo, Popular Mechanics,Popular Science,Time, Popular photography, The NY Times, USA Today,and others. It has received the Gold Award from DPReview.com As I said Iron Patch, check it out ! Frank

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Frankyn: My old Pathe' reflex 16 mm camera had the dual function fixed mirror for composing and focusing. It had a front surface coating which acted as a mirror for directing light to the composing eye piece, yet allowed the major part of the incoming light to travel on to the film.

I also had one of the original Exacta 35 mm SLR cameras. it merely went blank when you pushed the shutter, stilll. I bought it in Peking, China in 46 in the thieves market, still around somewhere..

With the sensitivity of the films, or electronic receptors today, a moveable mirror or reflective surface is no longer needed.

Don Jose de La Mancha

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I bought my wife a Cano9n SX 30 IS last Christmas. It works good in any light indoors or out. She does not go anywhere without it. It takes excellent pictures, almost as good as an SLR. It also has incredible zoom. It is a good all aorund camera and I would recommend taking a look at one. As for myself, I use an SLR. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
I bought my wife a Cano9n SX 30 IS last Christmas. It works good in any light indoors or out. She does not go anywhere without it. It takes excellent pictures, almost as good as an SLR. It also has incredible zoom. It is a good all aorund camera and I would recommend taking a look at one. As for myself, I use an SLR. Good luck. rockhound

I sort of agree I think! ;D That's exactly the camera I decided on after about three straight hours of racking my brain, but just before getting off the computer I seen they have an upgraded version (SX40 HS) that fixed with a few small problems on the 30. I just got home from detecting so haven't had a chance to play with it.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
Iron Patch, in all honesty, if you really want a good camera, you have to understand that all the pro's use 'SLR' cameras. They use detachable lenses. Anything that isn't and SLR, is more or less just a pocket camera not meant for anything other than posting pics on facebook... You have to accept that first and foremost.
Next, there are only two lines of SLRs that pros' use... Either Canon or Nikon. They are both great camera lines. They both have equally great quality. I have a canon. But, I bought my GF a nikon, only because her father passed and left her a lot of older manual nikon lenses.
Trust me... if you are asking the question "I'm looking to upgrade my camera"... it means that you should go SLR. Do a little research on SLR and I'm sure that you'll thank me.

edit: one thing that has always buged me, is when these 'pocket' camera makers make their camera's look like SLR's. I feel like it's tricking the consumer to buy their camera... but, you are only buying just another cheap pocket camera that's only good for posting pictures on Facebook and the like..

If I needed it to take one great shot, the best I could get, then without question I would have spent the money on a decent DSLR. But my use is for many pictures of decent quality done easily and fairly quickly.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I saw the Sony with the floppy, a Movica or something, in the Good Will store today. It was $6. I was going to get it to play with until I remembered I don't have anything with a floppy drive. And to think I started with a CPM system with a real 8"floppy. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread