Considering an Excalibur 1000

txbluesman

Sep 10, 2006
Can anyone give me some advice regarding this detector? I currently own a White's DFX and it has proven to be solid performer on land. I have taken only once to the beach and it perform equally as well. Of course, while hunting the beach, I looked towards the sea thinking I would much rather be hunting out there. Since then I have been looking at different detectors by the various manufacturers. I think I have settled on this particular unit for several reasons. 1) On my DFX, I use Tone ID exclusively and can ID most targets by sound. It is my understanding that the Excalibur has Tone ID as well. If it performs similar to my DFX, I would think that I would be more comfortable than the usual two-tone sounds. 2) The BBS technology appears to be quite capable of providing depth while still providing discrimination capabilities (particularly Ferrous items). Although, I rarely use discrimination above the iron level, I still like the option if time is limited and I'm hunting a particular range of targets.

Now the questions:
1) Is the tone id similar to the DFX? Does each non-ferrous material have an unique tone?
2) Does the iron discrimination really work? Is there a large depth penalty when using it?
3) How does the BBS technology really compare to the Pulse Induction technology?
4) I have read some complaints about the knobs being flimsy or weak. Is this true?
5) I have read some complaints about the weight and balance of the unit? Some recommend a straight shaft?
6) As a SCUBA diver, how does this unit perform at depths beyond the surf?
7) Does anyone have the AA battery system (vs. the rechargeable battery system)? How many hours do you get on it?
8) As I live over 500 miles from the nearest saltwater beach, how does this unit perform in fresh water?
9) Can this unit act as a backup unit to my DFX for coin shooting on land (not beach)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide me in finalizing my decision.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Tones are different. Your ear probably can not tell the diff. between all the tones.
2. The Iron mask really works and there is no depth penalty. You'll be able to locate a gold ring under a large nail, unlike a VLF or PI.
3. With PI's you get only one sound and it loves long iron targets, small round ones. PI's are deeper, but after digging 2 foot holes in the surf for a nail, you'll wish you had some discrimination.
4. This was true when they first came out, but not now.
5. Being a water unit it is made heavier than a land unit. With the control box mounted in front of the hand it is more water resistant sweeping it. The straight shaft is ok for some, but it still doesn't take any weight off the arm. I prefer the controls mounted in a neck mount, see picture of mount. Course when I dive it is mounted on the short shaft.
6. I dive also and it is good at depths too, and your not wasting air recovering a nail.
7. I do not use the AA battery pak.
8. There is no difference in operation in fresh water except some hunters like to have sensitivity set in Auto.
9. Back up for the DFX, you gotta be kidding. More likely the DFX would be a back up for the Excal. But once your used to looking at a screen to decide to dig you'd better stick with the Whites for land. ;D

The land machine that matches the Excal or exceeds it in preformance is the Minelab Sovereign GT. It runs around $695.00. It can be hip mounted for wading also.

HH,
Sandman

Attachments

• Neck Mount for Excal. (WinCE).JPG
    Neck Mount for Excal. (WinCE).JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 694

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv got mine for sale if that is what you are looking for Excalibur 1000..sorry its SOLD!

Grubstake

Oct 20, 2006
Mariposa,CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab,2200sd, excallibur, soverine
Mines For Sale post here in the classifides. Minelab Excallibur 1000, standard and straight shaft, two batteries, rechargable and akaline. PM Grubstake $800.00+shipping. Grubstake

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread