Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this is my third time out with my Deus and every time I have constant noise going on in my headphones. I thought the first time emu, but the same thing my second and now third time out. I've tried dropping the sebsitivity, offsetting the frequency. And I get it on all 4 frequencies. I even tried turning off my cellphone in case that was causing it. Just standing here it's going nuts.
What else should I try?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has each time been to the same area? I can't use my Deus anywhere near my home because of EMI from something... the powerlines, or maybe the wireless gas meter or something... I don't know. But it is simply unusable. But that doesn't generally happen elsewhere, and when it does, shifting to a higher frequency seems to at least make it tolerable.

If it is happening in various locations, then I think I'd be calling XP.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dog fence around? They will kill a Dues from 100 yards away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three different places. Today I went into the middle of a farm field

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could possibly be your settings. Could you give us a rundown of your settings? Maybe we could decipher what the problem could be from that.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the noise can be external EMI (frequency change or shift usually addresses this, sensitivity, TX power, discrimination, reactivity, and finally silencer adjustments can help), ground feedback (ground balance is set improperly or is highly variable (use GB tracking), reduce Tx power in highly mineralized soil to 2 or even 1 if necessary, and adjust ground notch (expert setting in the Ground Balance menu) such that the entire bar is black (hit the "+" or "-" sign as necessary to blacken the entire bar shown), increase discrimination, lower reactivity, and increase silencer setting above 0 as a last resort - note that reactivity and silencer setting go hand in hand, that is, the Deus frustratingly adjust the silencer setting automatically depending on what reactivity is set at, so if you want to turn silencer off or lower it for max depth, you have to go in and adjust it every time you change reactivity - on the other hand you may want those higher silencer settings if falsing is giving you constant noise) , constant falsing (again - proper ground balance, ground notch and Tx power and lower sensitivity), or even a bad coil (try a different coil to see if the noise goes away), it is hard to try to diagnose these things over the forum just based on the what you have described so far.

First, can you describe the noise - i.e., is it a continuous buzz (EMI) or chronic chatter (i.e., not continuous noise, but constantly occuring pops and crackles) (falsing). Does it happen when you are swinging the coil or independent of swinging the coil? (with coil swings, could be ground feedback or bad coil adjust as described above).

Second can you describe your baseline settings you are using and whether your ground is highly mineralized or not (the vertical bargraph on the right hand side of the screen indicates ground mineralization). If the bargraph is halfway up or more, lower Tx power to 2 or 1. Do you have ground notch at maximum as described above, i.e., complete blackened horizontal bargraph - this will not affect depth so there is really no reason not to do it. What Disc setting are you using? Are you using full tones? What reactivity setting are you using? What silencer setting are you using? What is the lowest you have adjusted sensitivity?

Other things to look at, make sure the battery is fully charged, and when you first turn on the unit, do so with the coil at waist height and away from any large metal object until the "Yes/No" external speaker prompt appears.

Looks like you have covered the usual suspects for EMI (lowered sens, changed frequency, shifted frequency - problem is this also locks Tx power at 3 which is counterproductive in highly mineralized soil).

If you haven't done so already, I also highly recommend using one of your other two coils to see if the issue is isolated to just one of the coils.

This should be enough to get you started on narrowing down the cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's constant chatter, swinging or static, even with coil in the air.soil is normal, I manually GB'd and even loweredvit a few notches.
Doesn't matter what program I use. Even tried the basic 1 program as set by factory.
Like I said, I tried sensitivity, disc, TC power. Did NOT try ground notch. Will try that when I go out tomorrow

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, try ground notch but constant chatter sound is still a subjective description. The Deus will chatter. Even humidity and transient soil conditions can affect it. So it could be normal, but again hard to tell unless I could hear it first hand. There are times when the conditions away from wifi/bluetooth/power lines, when I can get it to be pretty quiet. I can stand in my yard one day and it will be relatively quiet and other days it will constantly chatter. I chalk it up to wifi, florescent bulbs, or other constantly changing environmental conditions. It is typically most chatty in the summer. Distant lightning can affect it also.

I may have mistakenly thought you had more than one coil (may have gotten you mixed up with another recent Deus purchaser who got a helluva deal, but that's another story). So if you only have one coil, nevermind. However, I was thinking if the wireless WS5 headset is faulty, if you have a set of wired headphones you can plug into the speaker or just listen to the speaker, you can see if the noise is associated with just the headset.

Your last post said, "Like I said, I tried sensitivity, disc, TC (TX?) power..." - but your first post did not mention disc or TX power at all. What did you do with disc/Tx power? Also, are you just using the default 3 tones or full tones? You also didn't say how much you lowered sensitivity? Sensitivity gain curve is pretty flat at the high end, you can lower it from 100 to about 92 or 93 and not make much of a difference on gain. You need to lower it into the 80's to start getting a linear effect on gain which will noticeably affect noise.

Also, lowering GB BELOW the actual ground reading will actually result in INCREASED noise/chatter. If you want to lower ground feedback noise/chatter, then increase GB ABOVE the actual ground reading (but you will lose depth).

Try lower reactivity and see what that does too.

Hope you get it figured out, but if you are still going crazy, post back for some additional tips/help. HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, TX power, not TC, fat fingers.
I lowered TX power, I dropped sisitivity to 50, I lowered the disc to to and raised it by increments of 10 until I got to 90.
Using default 3 tones
Reactivity is set to whatever the factory program has it set at.
I will try raising the GB tonight as well as holding the coil higher in the air when I turn it on, I've been holding it about knee high.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tman Another thought I had is even in the middle of a farm field if there are high tension power lines in the vicinity you could pick up chatter across the board on all four frequencies - just going to have to choose the one that is quietest. Those same power lines can affect you even if you are in three different sites that are miles apart from each other but the same relative distance away from the run of power lines.

If the chatter doesn't go away after lowering sens to the low 80s, then don't bother going any lower. At that point you might as well just visually look for targets on the surface lol.

Strange. Really wish I could listen to what you are hearing to see if its normal chatter. Though annoying, if it isn't keeping you from hearing legitimate target hits, then you may have to just live with it, unfortunately.

You are going to want to keep disc at around zero if you want it to hit on modern Canadian coinage which may cause it to be more chatty.

Don't forget that ground notch suggestion.

Hopefully, it is not a bad coil.

Good luck.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What software version is it running? I ask because the initial release of v4 had some issues. If the guy you bought it from updated it to v4 ....I would redo the update just to be sure.

OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy I bought it from was running 3.2, but updated it to 4.0 before selling it and never used it after the update

What software version is it running? I ask because the initial release of v4 had some issues. If the guy you bought it from updated it to v4 ....I would redo the update just to be sure.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy I bought it from was running 3.2, but updated it to 4.0 before selling it and never used it after the update

When did he do the update. If it was in March, I would redo it. Matter of fact I would redo it anyway. You have nothing to loose.

OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link to a video of what I'm dealing with

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also when your swinging does it still chatter that much? Sounds like EMI to me, is there any radio station towers or cell towers near you? Have you tried a whole new area? I remember my Dues did something like that in a perticular area thought I broke the machine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm.. That's how mine sounds when I run it inside my house but it usually quiets down once outside. Not sure what else you can try.

OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does that no matter where I go, different parts of the city. Constant whether swinging or not

Last edited:

mstreenz

Apr 30, 2017
Downs, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, AT Pro, GTI 1500, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have anyone that you hunt with that has a Deus? It would be great if you could have another Deus go to the sites you hunt and see if theirs is doing the same thing. If so, then your machine might be defective. Just a thought.

OP
OP
T

Toolman0114

Sep 15, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett ATPro
Fisher CZ21
Minelab GPX 4500
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I did, that would help me solve this.

Do you have anyone that you hunt with that has a Deus? It would be great if you could have another Deus go to the sites you hunt and see if theirs is doing the same thing. If so, then your machine might be defective. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread