Constitution Centennial Medal

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I actually found this medal yesterday. It was about 3 inches deep and just off of a trail next to a creek. I remembered it today. It cleaned up pretty good. One side shows a bust of A. Loudon Snowdon, Marshal. I think he had something to do with the Mint, but I could be wrong. The other side says Centennial of the Constitution, 1787-1887. Writing in the center says "STRUCK & DISTRIBUTED IN THE CIVIC AND INDUSTRIAL PROCESSION SEPT. 15." It's a neat find, but probably not worth much.

Concen 001.JPG Concen 002.JPG

Upvote 0

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
He kinda looks like Admiral George Dewey...Cool find!
Baggins

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet commemoritive coin.

Keep at it.

Ken

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Snowden, Archibald Loudon (1835-1912) — also known as A. Loudon Snowden — of Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pa. Born in Cumberland County, Pa., August 11, 1835. Married to Elizabeth R. Smith. U.S. Minister to Romania, 1889-92; Serbia, 1889-92; Greece, 1889-92; Spain, 1892-93. Died in 1912

The "civic and industrial procession" of September 15, 1887 was, of course, only part of the centennial program. The following day there was a massive military display of American advances in the martial arts since the Revolution. Meantime, leaders of the Philadelphia bar had breakfasted at the White House, perhaps an effort to make more palatable the national government's parsimony at the observance of its own birthday, and on Constitution Day itself a climactic memorial service was held in Independence Square. President Cleveland, former President Rutherford B. Hayes, Lincoln's former Vice-President, Hannibal Hamlin, and Chief Justice Morrison R. Waite (see Portfolio, this issue) were among the principal figures on the rostrum. Music by the Marine Corps band was conducted by a young Professor John Philip Sousa. The "orator of the day" was Justice Samuel Freeman Miller.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Nice find, SkierBob... and impeccable research, as always, Gypsy!

Rich Hartzog had one of these medals in a World Exonumia auction a while back:

X-REF: S-PA US Mint Mint and Treasury
1541. PA 396 Philadelphia: US Mint Employee Snowden. US Mint Director Snowden bust right; Centennial of Constitution, 1887. Brass, bright AU.
$10.00-15.00+

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Bob, good one for the collection!!

Don

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PA Constitution Centennial Medal, 1887. Lot of two: "A. Loudon Snowden Marshall" around bust / "Centennial of the Constitution 1787 1887 Struck & Distributed in the Civil & Industrial Procession Sept. 15" Rulau PA Ph-396, page 690. 25 mm, brass, Slightly toned Unc. Another, copper, about XF. 2pcs. $35.00-50.00+

Found here: http://www.exonumia.com/sale11/allb.htm

Images of medal are available on the link above if you do a 'CTRL F' then type in A. Loudon Snowden Marshall.

By the way nice find.

NJ

Beat again by PBK but I'm getting better at this research stuff.

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Thanks for all the research and info folks. That was nice of you.
Bob

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome condition and great research by GH! Congrats and HH, Mike

Boobydoo

Gold Member