Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove by a construction site today where a sewer line for a new addition is being installed.? It rang a bell with my memory and I recalled there use to be an old house located where? the turn in to the? construction site is located.? So, having my detector with me as usual, I pulled in and hit it for 30 min or so.? Didn't find anything but a clad penny and an old tool tag with the number 20 on it.? I figured the tool tag was from the construction crew.? Couldn't figure out why no luck until I found where the surface of the site had been graded and the dirt was piled up off to one side.? I tried to detect the dirt pile but it had already grown up in weeds and too difficult to detect.? ? Oh, well, nice try.? I find myself noticing sites like this as I drive to and from different places in the city where I never paid any attention before.? JIM aka KS

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
one of these days that kind of thinking is going to pay off.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Still a goood idea to try! I dont think they use tool checks alot anymore do they? Whats it look like, pic? ;D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
AKA????,

OBSESSION: The domination of one's thoughts by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

Seem to be always looking.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not all construction sites are loaded with keepers, but I wouldn't ever write one off until I checked it thoroughly.
Check it again if they do more digging. It could make all the difference in the world.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just stoped at this site on a whim, was more interested in where the old house use to stand some 30 years ago. I doubt that many people remember it being there. All I found of the house was a few shards of broken china. Lots of big taargets at a foot deep, probably old plumbing pipes, etc. I doubt I will go back as it is pretty busy with equipment most of the time. JIM aka KS

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been hitting a few construction site, and they are hit and miss.

On Saturday, I hunted a huge constructions site with no coins and not very many goodies. The site is where there putting in our new Walmart. 100 acres of bulldozed dirt. This site is where the Insane Asylum farm used to be. I guess the insane farmers didn't carry much money. :-\

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At any institution like an asylum if you are looking for coins they will be found along the edge of parking lots and sidewalks leading up to the main entrance. My problem is that any time a site like that is under construction or has been demolished I can't identify those areas because the landcape has been altered so much. You could search half an acre and find relatively few items and then hit a strip 30' long that is loaded. Or not! Another problem is that it takes so much time to search such large areas. The proper way to hunt those areas is to grid it off and work it in at least two directions, but who has time for that? I don't! So, right or wrong I usually just give the surface a quick skim and if I don't find at least some sign that there is something beneath, I move on to the next site. JIM aka KS

Z

ZumbroKid

Yes, they can be hit or miss, but when they hit they really can hit. Sort of like bass fishing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread