Construction Sites

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
I think I have found the PERFECT place to find old stuff in the ground, a 1930's house was just torn down and it looks like they are going to be putting in some commercial development there (its in the middle of the city), I have maps showing where the house and outbuildings sat prior to being dropped (a few weeks ago) and there are some MASSIVE old trees that they are leaving... My question is, who do I get permission from to hunt the area? Do I just talk to the foreman if he is there? Is there anyone with tips on searching construction sites like this? I have a feeling there will be old coins to be found and I want to get over there but dont want to cause any trouble!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're asking this on a forum where some people will say you need permission to hunt a public park's sandbox? ::)

If it were me, I would not hesitate to hit any demolition site after 5pm. Especially if it's not fenced or posted (and I do not consider some scattered orange cones and ribbon to be "fenced"). But that's just me. Others will say you can't even step off the sidewalk, anywhere, for any reason, w/o first asking someone.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt sites like this all the time. I normally try and get permission from the foreman. Usually I can't get on the property until after 5pm when the construction workers leave, but sometimes they will let you on when they are working. I've found permission to get on is about 50/50. Some of the foreman are nice guys while others can be real jerks. I carry a hard hat and orange vest everywhere I go and wear it when I'm hunting construction sites, that way I blend in and won't get attention from any busy bodies. You can pick up a hard hat at any hardware store for about 6 bucks.

Hopefully, they will take off about 3 inches of the surface with a bulldozer blade, if they do that you have the potential for a real bonanza of silver.

OP
OP
R

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
Great response guys! I am kinda on the fence about searching it without permission, its not like its some persons property thats gonna come out with a shotgun but at the same time its going to end up a parking lot soon so why would anyone care if check it for coins? I will probably stop the next time I see someone there and see if I can get permission!

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
Getting permission from a construction foreman can be tricky, the main reason for a NO answer is the liability issue. If you get hurt on their site they may be affraid you will sue them. If you ask, try agreeing to sign a waiver of liability. It may or may not work. BTW I am in the construction buisness and would not let any one on one of my sites without such a waiver, most of the other construction company owners I know would not let you on the site at all (if you ask). If you don't ask, you may get away with hunting the property after hours with out being questioned but please don't sue the owner if you get hurt, whether it is properly cordened off or not. I like the idea of carrying an orange vest and hard hat, it keeps you safe and passers by will not bother you. Just my 2cents

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom_in_CA said:
You're asking this on a forum where some people will say you need permission to hunt a public park's sandbox? ::)

If it were me, I would not hesitate to hit any demolition site after 5pm. Especially if it's not fenced or posted (and I do not consider some scattered orange cones and ribbon to be "fenced"). But that's just me. Others will say you can't even step off the sidewalk, anywhere, for any reason, w/o first asking someone.
I will have to go along with ..Tom.. here something like that after 5 i would just go hunt................ And Tom is right some here would say get permission to step off the side walk... not me i am with Tom 100% just go hunt it..............

ShootTheMoon

Apr 20, 2010
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100, Pioneer 101
I will quote myself from a prior post:

Check as to who owns the property, either the contractor(s) who will give you permission or someone else who hired the contractors. Many contractors/owners say no, due to insurance/legal liability for any injuries around "construction" sites. Be very cautious. If you were to hurt yourself or damage a waterline, etc., you might want to know the actual owners with phone numbers in case of an emergency! Also, many contractors say no due to buried electrical/phone lines. In many cases you must first have permission from the electric/water company before digging any depth near homes/neighborhoods/businesses.

Then again after 5pm or in the wee hours of the morning, say 4 or 5am on Sat/Sun morning...you might not be bothered.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
A site like that, I would do on a weeknight, after 7:30pm.
Hunt during the last hour of daylight.
Most people are home for the night, eating dinner, relaxing, etc.
Hunt at a time when the least amount of busybodies are likely to even see you. lol.
Although it's public, if you start asking, (esp. in a construction area), SOMEONE will say you can't detect. (Liability, etc.,etc.,etc.) ::) Then, they might be watching for you!
Hunt hard and fast BEFORE anyone gives you any grief.
And if anyone starts with you, THEN you can start the whole "I thought it's a public park" routine. ;D
And hopefully you've already gotten the goodies by then! :wink: :thumbsup: :wink:
What people don't know can't hurt them!
I'm always amazed with how little people care if things get covered over forever by a parking lot.
Some people just don't like metal detecting, even if you're in dirt that's about to be covered over!

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a superintendent for a large general contractor in Denver about 12 years ago. I ran large crews of 50 to 100 subcontractors at times. If you came to my site and asked I would have given permission as long as you promised not to detect while we were working, The other superintendent who was there as well, (we worked as a team) would have said no or yes depending on his mood, seriously, he was moody.
We had another bigger superintendent who only showed up once every week or two who would have absolutely said no.
We had big jobs and there might have been people working late but if you showed up after 5:00 or 6:00 in the evening or on a Sunday the odds are no one would have said a word to you. Saturdays a supervisor could be poking around (not always) and I had an annoying habit of showing up real early on weekdays so you never know. I'd just detect it and leave if someone told me to. You certainly would have just been asked to leave before anyone called the cops.

OP
OP
R

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
Well, its too late! It has now been dug out about 2 feet down and they put up a sign saying its going to be a walgreens :-(

Its now fenced off too, oh well... Next time I will have to be a bit quicker when I see an opportunity!

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
All the sites around here get fenced and posted, "No Trespassing".

If it's not "posted" I would wander over there in the quiet hours.

If it is, you could get arrested for being there without permission.

Jim on Camano

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread