Consulted a Lawyer, Re.: the Coin-star return slot contents .....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just consulted a lawyer with the following question:

A) Assuming a coin-star machine is located on private property (Lucky's Grocery store for instance).

B) Assuming some of a customer's coins get rejected, and end up in the return-tray slot. Example: silver coins, foreign coins, gold coins, etc....

C) Assuming customer wasn't aware, (or didn't care) and walks away. Leaving the coins behind. Then ...

D) Who do those coins belong to? Assuming prior customer never comes back for them ?

E) Belong to the next lucky passerby who checks the return tray slot ?

F) Belong to the Store , on whose property the machine is located ?

G)
Belong to the Coin Star Vending machine Co's, who placed the machine there ?

H) Belong to the police , as Lost & Found Property ?

Here was the Lawyer's answer: "They belong to the Coin Star machine Co. " Not the store. And not anyone who passes by . And not the police, since it's on private property, not public ( and because presumably they aren't worth the $100 -or-more threshold anyhow). And he said there's usually a ph. # on the machine to call for questions, inquiries, claims, etc....

I asked him for his source/citation of law that would back up this legal opinion. He said that it's "common law". But that .... if someone cared to research it long enough, it would be in "case law". I asked "what case law can you cite?". He said that if I wanted to send them a letter, they would research further to provide the case law precedents. But that he was "100% confident".

I am not going to bother their firm to delve into it , to find case law precedents. As I don't want to test their patience :) But there you have it. That's the technical answer. Then he finished the phone call by saying he'd once found .50c in the change slot of the soda machine at their office lobby. And kept it. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I guess this just goes to show, that while it's noble to "obey all laws", yet deep down .... we all know that some are never enforced.

Yet the store, or police, or lawyers, or bureaucrats, will be obligated to give you the "technical" answer, when you ask them.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should ask him about "abandoned property" law. There's plenty of it including that which covers treasure and treasure trove. Yes there is a difference. I would argue against your lawyers claims. The coin machine company has a legal obligation to 'find and return' any excess monies to the rightful owner. After that it may or may not have a legal claim to the coins left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Foiler, Yes, I used 2 variations of the reason why the coins could be left behind: That a) the user simply wasn't aware, or b) didn't care. And for sake of the question, asked him to assume that the person never came back for them. Thus that would qualify for your question of "abandoned". Right ?

He seemed to infer it really didn't make a difference. The entity deciding on fulfilling whatever law comes next, FALLS TO THE COINSTAR COMPANY anyhow.

Thus really then, the subject of "abandoned" or not, is a moot point. Because it's up to the Coin-star people to fulfill whatever laws come next. "Abandoned" may apply at public land though?

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an absolute waste of an attorney's time....

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
just put some pennys and some zincs in and collect what is in the tray. no way to tell you didn't put them in there while USING the machine.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I still like my 17 quarters I found in the coinstar :)

EDIT:

I think what I'll do from now on, to bolster and quell my fears, is to dump some coins each time I go in, and if there are rejections, they're mine. And I'll spend the receipt in my shopping.

That looks like it would resolve all issues. After all, they were in the rejection tray after I dumped mine. Who's to question that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

And this is exactly what I think when I read about people grovelling at bureaucrat's feet (city hall desks, police dept's, travel bureau consulates, lawyers, etc...) trying to resolve the issues of: "Can I or can't I detect a certain place?". They knock themselves silly, find someone to give them a "safe" and technical/legal answer like this one. Never stopping to ask themselves "does anyone REALLY care?".

So that was sort of my interest in this.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Agreed, 100%.

Tom, ya gotta pick your battles in this day and age, and while it may
remain in question, is the amount of change you might get really worth
the cost and stress of a legal challenge?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dizzy, I already knew that no one's going to change their habits. There was no "battle". No, it's not worth the challenge, and you'd be hard-pressed to find any coin-star executives who cared, even if they knew full well you took it . Heck, they probably don't even know that it's legally theirs, nor would care to pursue anyone who took a few bucks here and there.

I was only curious because , as I said to Susan above, I see a similarity between this and some of the other laws that md'rs sometimes worry-themselves silly about. They scurry around asking for legal answers (just like I did here). And get a technical legal answer from some pencil pusher. And then lament their "lack of freedoms".

So, like the coin-star example, I am of the opinion that the real test should be: "does anyone really care ?". Not: "what is the technical legal answer?". And if a single person ever griped to you, upon seeing you take the coins, you would probably just ignore them, give lip service, but figure it's a fluke, and you're not likely to bump into that person again .

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Even "with" that technical answer, I have to wonder if every factual facet was included with that answer. For example, Coinstar has NO means of saving/securing any abandoned coins for retrieval. Coinstar has NO signs stating that any coins in the return slot are the sole property of the person who dumped them or that of Coinstar. And lastly that there is no way to know (for the next customer) what coins in the return slot are from that customer and what coins are from previous customers.

So, if the person who dumped them abandons them (whether willingly or negligently), AND Coinstar abandons them (whether willingly or negligently), then they should be up for grabs. Yes, there may be a technical or written law, but there's also the law of Common Sense. And I think maybe that's what all this is about - what's the common sense of it all.

But yes, thank you for asking!! I was quite curious what your reply would be. Should have known it would be something unresearched and off-the-cuff. :tongue3: Even if the technical answer IS actual and factual, there's a good amount of argument in sound reasoning that might still win in a court of law....providing anyone ever cared to take it that far! :laughing7:

....Sorry - rambling again! :BangHead:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I'm the next guy using the machine, I'm stealing from Coinstar if there were already coins in the reject bin and I keep them with my rejects? Totally ridiculous.

The only stealing going on with these machines is Coinstar taking 10.9% of your change! What a ripoff!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Heavens to Betsy, it MUST be Christmas time - I'm agreeing with Tim on something!! :laughing7:

Sorry Tim - just ribbing ya'. :angel9:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
They don't take ANY of my money.. I convert it all to an Amazon.com card, which I was going to buy stuff at anyway. I'll let Amazon pay them for my convenience. :)
They convert 100% of your dump to an Amazon card?!?!?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And this is exactly what I think when I read about people grovelling at bureaucrat's feet (city hall desks, police dept's, travel bureau consulates, lawyers, etc...) trying to resolve the issues of: "Can I or can't I detect a certain place?". They knock themselves silly, find someone to give them a "safe" and technical/legal answer like this one. Never stopping to ask themselves "does anyone REALLY care?".

So that was sort of my interest in this.
You are right there Tom ones like to ask stupid questions and knock there selves out just to cause them selfs trouble..And waste there time.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
They don't take ANY of my money.. I convert it all to an Amazon.com card, which I was going to buy stuff at anyway. I'll let Amazon pay them for my convenience. :)
Knowing Amazon they get there money from it some how.. Nothing is free no matter what they say.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If coinstar doesn't pay out any money to the person for rejected coins that pass through it's machine rejected, then why would they have any claim over said rejects? They don't- which is why the person can just take their rejects back. I doubt your lawyer is correct- holding a job position and being good at it are 2 different things- relevant on everything from mechanic to lawyer to doctor. :)

If a person leaves the rejects there, then in my opinion it is no different than if they dropped it on the floor- or left a quarter in a shopping cart un-returned. They neglected to pay attention, left it behind- therefore lost.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time I found about five dollars of coins, I did not turn them to the store. I kept them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions