CONTEST..............."PIC OF TOKEN OR BUTTON"

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
CONTEST..............."PIC OF TOKEN OR BUTTON"

OK boys n girls, its time we had another contest here at Treasure Net. Post pics of your tokens or buttons & win a handmade Mighty Diggin Tool of your very own! Only stipulation is that it has to be a token or button that you found while detecting, please post pics & tell us how & where you found it. I will let it run for one week then choose 3 finalists, then post a poll & allow everyone to vote for the winner. The winner will receive a custom made tool from hell, fabricated with lots of love! I plan on running more contests in the future, so if you have an idea please PM or email me. Lets light this candle................ post yer pics & win!!! ;D

Also, please post one token or button at a time, but feel free to enter more than one entry. Close up pics will help.............Good Luck!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CONTEST..............."PIC OF TOKEN OR BUTTON"

Hi A.p Here my entry.last year i found this 1880's Colony of Victoria Police Button in the old chinese market and goldmining camp .In the same period a Constable Thomas Ryan went missing in 1886.

tinpan

Attachments

• button 2.jpg
    button 2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 642

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA

Great something right up my ally.......the pic i included had a hand full fo the tokens and buttons i have found here in nevada over the last yr.....top left and second role are both chinees tokens one found in tonopah the other in tybo, the second one over on the top is a tonopah extention mining company token marked t.e.m. 4.
second role second token in is a monarch bar token good for 12 1/2 cents in trade from monarch nevad...one of 15 known tokens 3rd token second role is mozart bar in goldfield nv. bar is still in opperation token is from the 1900's,3rd role manhattan token central bar good for 12 1/2 cents in trade found in tonopah, 2nd token is hc fields dance hall tonoaph, 3rd token is palace bar tonopah
4th role is hub salloon good for 12 1/2 cents trade found outside of tonopah, second token is a palace bakery token looks like it got hit by a mower, dog tag is next in line
5th line is a the den rebate check....good for 2 1/2 cents...this one was gold plated once.but not now, the last token is a candy token a maverik found here in tonopah.
every thing else is buttons two millitary buttons
a glass button with a copper eye on the back
some fancy dress buttons.
this is only a small sample of the tokens and buttons i have found here and there in the last yr.
lol
hope you enjoy the pics.
lone gunman

Attachments

• token.jpg
    token.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 640

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Thanks for another great contest.

Here is my best button find. I found it in Missouri at the Battle of Athens state park. It was found on private property. It is a Mississippi I button. It was my only good find for the day. I didn't even know anything about it till I got home. It is considered very rare.

Attachments

• csa1.jpg
    csa1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 625
  • csa1.jpg
    csa1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 615

rosevelt

Oct 22, 2004
Tax Token

Hi I thought I would post a pic of my first and only token (I'm so proud of it), it says "tax token, 10 cents or less. laws 1935". I live in Regina, Sakatchewan, Canada didn't expect to find it all the way over here!! I found it last year in the middle of july. I was Hunting at a old park from the 20's.

And here it is!

Front
token002.jpg

Back
2006008.jpg

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't mean to hijack Mighty but your inbox is full! I got your PM and am thrilled! Do you have my addy?

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

Here's my first trade token I've ever found! I found it last June in Eugene Oregon. It reads, LEE & BRINK / EUGENE / ORE. // GOOD FOR / 5c / IN TRADE. I did research on the token ~ LEE & BRINK was a cigar shop on Willamette street ~ they closed their doors in 1914. One of the men later started a Barber shop near the same location.

Attachments

• A-token-rev.jpg
    A-token-rev.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 510
  • a-token-obv.jpg
    a-token-obv.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 501

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a token good for 2 1/2 cents in trade at the "Spivak Bar" in Genesee West Virginia. Sounds like a good name for an immigrant-owned saloon! It was found at the site of an old one-room school. I've always loved the tokens that had fractions of cents for their value. More to come!

Buckleboy

Attachments

• Old School token1.jpg
    Old School token1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Old School token.jpg
    Old School token.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 500

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Ok, here's one:

My detecting buddy (Roy) and I went out to treasure hunting one afternoon. We got to talking about the different types of tokens, and wished we could find some out-of-the-ordinary ones. I decided it would be neat to fine a worlds fair token. Roy thought he'd like to find a KKK token. So, with a mission in place, we wondered how we could set out to find these tokens. We read about dowsing rods, and how you can find just what you're looking for with them. We tried map dowsing, but couldn't get the maps to stick out straight enough...So, we raided the closet and tore up a bunch of good hangers making dowsing rods, and sat in the living room and began our quest for "special tokens". Our rods pointed east...his and mine, although we were looking for different types of tokens. So, since we would both be heading in the same direction, we decided to travel together.

We hopped in his truck, and headed east. We kept checking our rods after a few miles, and both of ours were still pointing the same direction. I steered his truck while he checked his rods so he wouldn't have to pull over. There's a poor guy on a bicycle out there somewhere who will always have a fear of Ford explorers, I'm sure. Anyway, after crossing over the river, and a ditch or two by accident, our rods began to vibrate violently. As we were swerving down the road, our rods suddenly pointed to the right, and before we could slow down, our rods pointed back towards us. He hit the brakes, and as I was pulling my dowsing rod out of my left eye, he put it in reverse. The rods went back to the right (or at least my right rod did...the left rod was pretty blurry by now).

We pulled up into a driveway and the rods started swinging around violently, and began to burn our hands. I threw mine in the ditch where we parked which started a fire and turned the Ford explorer into a Ford EXPLODER. Luckily, Roy had the foresight to remove our detectors before it went up. So, with nothing else to do, we decided to detect the area that was making our rods go so crazy. Well, after finding 47 large cents, and a bunch of crappy morgan dollars, half dimes, 2 cent pieces, and copper 1943 pennies, we bumped our detectors together over the same spot, and they made a sweet beep. So, he dug one half of the hole, and I dug the other half. At about 34 inches down, we simultaneously held this nice little token. It was the token I was looking for...and the token he was looking for! So we decided to take a picture of it before we cut it in half so we could share it. The first pic is the side showing it's a token from the world's fair in Philadelphia (sesqui-centennial exposition). The second picture shows the other side, which is a KKK insignia (AKIA meaning A Klansman I Am). This was given to members and people who signed up at the KKK booth at the world's fair. No kidding!

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little in the story. I found it under a bush in front of an old dairy house while trying to find one more wheat penny. But that wasn't very interesting, was it?

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 501

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

Trade token ~ found last November ~ R. A. MURPHY / M / SPRINGFIELD, ORE. // GOOD FOR 5c / M / IN TRADE. I haven't done any research on this token or the merchant.

Attachments

• a-spring-rev.jpg
    a-spring-rev.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 492
  • a-spring-obv.jpg
    a-spring-obv.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 481

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Over a year ago, I invited two friends from the USA to detect with me for a week on my German fields. We made a lot of great finds that week! One smallish field gave up 11 beer tokens like this one so, we named it the token field. Obverse of the token “Good For 1 Liter Beer”. The coin is a 1925 brass aluminum 5 Pfennig.
2Apr06token.jpg

Reverse of the token with a nice wreath of hops and barley. Thanks AP and HH, Mike
2Apr06tokenR.jpg

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A German military button with a 7 on it. I gave it to a friend in Canada who collects military relics along with a few military badges I have found. Thanks AP and HH, Mike
7Button.jpg

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ

oddcoins, great stuff! I'm a local, so likely biased to anything from my home turf, but cool stuff either way...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

here is a button i found at bergies swim hole in new york. i believe it to be from the late 1700s to early 1800s. as far as tokens, i found this tiny little token, depicting the philadelphia mint a while back. i have no idea what its from or how old it is.

Attachments

• 07-30-2006 10;47;43AM.jpg
    07-30-2006 10;47;43AM.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 656
  • 06-17-2006 04;06;16PM.jpg
    06-17-2006 04;06;16PM.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 648
  • 06-17-2006 04;06;16PM.jpg
    06-17-2006 04;06;16PM.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 653
  • 07-30-2006 10;47;43AM.jpg
    07-30-2006 10;47;43AM.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 640

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well it is almost impossible to find anything old down here in S.Florida.I did manage to find this button that was first introduced in 1910.It's from the Army Corps of Engineers.It was probably lost when they were digging canals down here to try and "drain the Everglades" :o ,idiots.It was found in close proximity of a canal that goes from Okeechobee to the Atlantic.It may not be as old as some on here but for down here it is as old as dirt! ;D
Here's the link where it was previously posted on this site-http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,18972.0.html Come on,I really need a new digger! Slayer rules! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• a.c.e.back.jpg
    a.c.e.back.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 451
  • A.C.E.front.jpg
    A.C.E.front.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 453

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I have found several tokens...but never a $5 one until this hunt in October ....

25 Windchill,$5 token and Soup
« on: Oct 24, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday the girls and I decided to brave the elements and hit a few spots along the river by Merrill. It was bone chilling cold,with sleet and 25 windchill, but we are die hards! LOL. I saw an old brick building near the river and pulled into the dirt road.Mariah decided to take a Nap in the truck...smart kid...while Cheyenne and I hunted under the cedars and within minutes I had a good hit. I was all prepared to have a heart attack thinking that I had finally pulled a large cent out of the ground....I couldn't even read it and handed it to Cheyenne ..."tell me what this says" I begged. ...She starts laughing and says "5 dollars"....What ? ....No large cent ...wah....Its a 5 dollar copper token for a mattress company that is no longer in business and the thing expired in 1957....hahaha
We kept working our way along the river when I heard someone pull into the gravel...here was Groundfisher...another diehard. He said he had seen Cheyenne from the road and figured it was us. He said he had already hunted this place out...hahahaha....And then I showed him the token...evidently he only hunts the silver out! LOL
We decided to hunt a bit by the bank lot. Groundfisher mentioned that he had dug up an old brass oil burner the last time he was here but had forgotten to take it home and now couldn't find it. We weren't finding anything and the wind was so bitter ,that I was having a hard time staying on my feet. After a bit ,I finally spotted the oil burner and returned it to GF. Thats when I mentioned that the last time I hunted this place I had forgotten to take home about ten silver dimes and if he found them to please return them to me! LOL
Enough was enough and we all opted to go to a little cafe for hot coffee and soup. It was a cold but great day and I finally stomped Groundfisher and Cheyenne .....Hahahaha

Attachments

• Five dollar token.jpg
    Five dollar token.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 461
  • Five dollar token.jpg
    Five dollar token.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 448

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Since I'm only posting for the Purpose of adding a Token.

I'm cheating and Posting a Pic of a Token I no longer have.
Shortly after I found it & sent pics to Marc Parker,
I was Made an Offer I couldn't Refuse & sold it.

was I'D''d as a possable Picker's Token, made to be
given to farm workers as work was done. and redeemed later
for cash.

Attachments

• 4qt._pickersToken.jpg
    4qt._pickersToken.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Pickers-Token.jpg
    Pickers-Token.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 418
OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

Hey Jeff, doesnt matter that you no longer have the token.............you located it with a detector & dug it up! You are also the highest authority here at TN, so I certainly wont exclude your entry! lol ;D Theres some damn fine tokens & buttons you guys have posted so far, keep em coming!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heres 2 of my favorites.The "chicken colonel button" i found at a spot that was a training grounds for the local militia,I am researching this and believe it to have belonged to Colonel David Shaw who was the leader of the militia.the sportsmans button i found at the homesite of a revolutionary war generals house.For more go to my earlier post ;D http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,61605.0.html

Attachments

• Mvc-001s.jpg
    Mvc-001s.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Mvc-002s.jpg
    Mvc-002s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 412

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread