New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't really know where to start,
as when I found my gold Ducat, it began with a premonition, just last night,
I had mentioned to my girlfriend that some of the early Colonial coins had the slogan
'Mind Your Business' attributed to my favorite Founding Father: Benjamin Franklin.
Had a -1.36 low tide this morning, so I was in the mud at dawn, made a few nice finds and finished up at 8 am. With my work schedule, I had a couple more hours to spare, so I thought about doing some hunting elsewhere.
Without ANY hope for significant finds, I headed to an inland tidal river, & started swinging, in a few seconds, I get a shallow 36 hit, turn over some mud, & pluck out a large coin, give it a rinse, & see what I thought was a chain around the edge,
dropped my detector & shovel and head back to my truck.
A closer look reveals that it is not a chain cent.
I have a good idea what it is, as I have a full set of colonial reproductions.
What to do ? of course look for more!
Found a few more interesting items, that any other day would be posted here & now.
Today is no ordinary day.
Rubbings show good date, am storing in distilled water until I can find info on having it professionally cleaned. tips welcome! more info:
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/CC-Dollar.1.html
the top 2 pix are for comparison of course, bottom 6 are my find.
Thanks for looking, & Great Digs to You All, Herbie.
A Huge thanks to Mike, (4-H) for confirming field ID, and calming me down a bit!

Attachments

• NH FINDS 08-05.2 001.jpg
    NH FINDS 08-05.2 001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 196
  • NH FINDS 08-05.2 002.jpg
    NH FINDS 08-05.2 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 205
  • BEN FRANKLIN  001.jpg
    BEN FRANKLIN 001.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 3,064
  • BEN FRANKLIN  002.jpg
    BEN FRANKLIN 002.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3,053
  • BEN FRANKLIN CENT 003 001.jpg
    BEN FRANKLIN CENT 003 001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,934
  • BEN FRANKLIN CENT 004.jpg
    BEN FRANKLIN CENT 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,938
  • BEN FRANKLIN CENT 003.jpg
    BEN FRANKLIN CENT 003.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,783
  • BEN FRANKLIN DOLLAR copy.jpg
    BEN FRANKLIN DOLLAR copy.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,801
  • NC FINDS 9-11 003.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-11 003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,504
  • NC FINDS 9-11 002.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-11 002.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,474
  • NH FINDS 08-05.2 001.jpg
    NH FINDS 08-05.2 001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 199
  • NH FINDS 08-05.2 002.jpg
    NH FINDS 08-05.2 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 4

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Well....

You have a very interesting find there Herbie! :o
Congratulations!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

That is a cool find please keep us posted on what you find out about it. I hope that it is the real deal.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Huge congrats!!! I'm going Banner on this one! :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy:

I hope it is silver for you but it looks to me, from the pics, it looks to be pewter.

Outstanding find! Preserve that sucker!! :thumbsup:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

Very cool find! From what I understand, the Continental Currency (also spelled "Curency" in some versions) were made of pewter - so you'd actually want it to be pewter and not silver, haha.

The thing that Im having trouble with is the 1777 date, as indicated in your rubbings. After searching through the Heritage auction archives, I could only find issues dated 1776, and none dated 1777. I'll continue poking around to see. If there's no progress made here, with your permission I can always post images on the PCGS coin forums for their members input.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OMG !! could it be ? if so a big Congrats :notworthy: did you know that in 1876 copy's were made of that coin to celebrate 100 years my hunting partner has 3 of them one copper and one a cast metal i cant remember what ? each coin has copy stamped on the edge ,even if its a 1876 copy still a great find ill be watching this post i have a picture of my buddys coins i took this year .Again very rare find regardless what year :thumbsup: Dd60

Attachments

• 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,805
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

testing123 said:
Very cool find! From what I understand, the Continental Currency (also spelled "Curency" in some versions) were made of pewter - so you'd actually want it to be pewter and not silver, haha.

The thing that Im having trouble with is the 1777 date, as indicated in your rubbings. After searching through the Heritage auction archives, I could only find issues dated 1776, and none dated 1777. I'll continue poking around to see. If there's no progress made here, with your permission I can always post images on the PCGS coin forums for their members input.
Date is 1776, photo is skewed. were made in silver,brass & pewter, this is the 'curency' version, ive read that there was also a 'currencey' version, any help is appreciated, use pix if helpful!
I wish these were better, the coin is fairly readable, will get sunlight pix tomorrow.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

testing123 said:

The Continental Currency was produced in silver, pewter and brass. The silver is the most valuable and what the OP wants his coin to be (I would also like this for them). Brass and pewter (which I believe this coin to be) are fairly equal in value. Outstanding and truly rare to find!

Date looks to be 1776 to me.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup looks like 1776 to me too. Outstanding find Herbie. If its the real deal then you got my banner vote. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. :icon_thumright:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Continental Currency Dollar ....

I am hoping for the best, but could those white spots be the base metal showing through where the plating is corroded away?

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

Evey time i look you have something better
than the last.
Hope its the real deal , then i will find you on the Banner.
Good Luck Mike

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

wow ! WHAT A FIND herbie. thats a once in a lifetime coin find for sure. man pass some of that luck on. ;D willy

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

l.cutler said:
I am hoping for the best, but could those white spots be the base metal showing through where the plating is corroded away?
Not sure, have found other coins with similar erosions,
seawater & contact with other metal/minerals (electrolosis) is the culprit
maybe just the pewter peeking through the surface patina.
can Anyone help with this question?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Will have to figure out how many varieties there is, because I just looked through my Breen and your "O" in Fugio in relation to the "N" in Continental seems out of place and proportion. That doesn't prove anything, other then you have to find a match with an authentic one.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a beauty and I hope it is real. You just have to understand that those are the most reproduced coins.....EVER! I would suggest bringing it to "Northeast Numismatics" in Concord Ma. I forget his name but you can google it. Tell him what you found and he will be able to confirm if it is the real deal. I wouldn't bring this to any half a$$ed coin shop. Looks like the real thing to me, but you do live somewhere near the coast I gather, so novelty and tourist shops sold "millions" of repros of these. Either that or I think Micheal Hodder lives in NH. You might want to contact him for advice. GOOD LUCK Hogge

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a find if it is real , even in that condition :o so many have turned out to be "to good to be true ", reproductions ::) I am amazed at the lost mud finds up there in NH Nice , exciting dig , one to watch :icon_scratch: .. Good Luck :thumbsup:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:
Will have to figure out how many varieties there is, because I just looked through my Breen and your "O" in Fugio in relation to the "N" in Continental seems out of place and proportion. That doesn't prove anything, other then you have to find a match with an authentic one.

IP, how about a Newman 1-C?

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/continental_dollars/1776_continental_dollar_n1_C.htm

if this turns out to be real then it is one of the coolest things i've ever seen dug. fingers crossed.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dwayne sueno said:
Iron Patch said:

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/continental_dollars/1776_continental_dollar_n1_C.htm

if this turns out to be real then it is one of the coolest things i've ever seen dug. fingers crossed.
1-C is not a match. His "O" is lined up with the start of the "N". The 1-C is offset to the right side of the "N".

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

hogge said:
dwayne sueno said:
Iron Patch said:

1-C is not a match. His "O" is lined up with the start of the "N". The 1-C is offset to the right side of the "N".

ah, right you are, hogge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread