Converting a 4" to a 3"

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
So Wyoming has a 3" hose limit, and so do most all the claims that I'm interested in here in Colorado. Does this have to be a nightmare? Can I just get some 3" hose, build an adaptor to fit the power jet, maybe a quick sluice mod for a bit less flow, and go to town like charlie brown?
Some of the claims DO allow a 4" so I need to be able to switch the hoses out.
Maybe I should say it this way. I'm doing this...lol! Even if I have to lay straight v rib mat and punchplate in my sluice. I'll accommodate the flow. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has done this. It seems simple. Come on engineers prove me wrong! Make it complicated! Lol

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 3" is a 14" wide box I wouldn't worry about changing anything on the box or flare just the hose and use a suction nozzle
and some way to connect it. this is what I used to connect my hose to the flare when I used a nozzle instead of a powerjet,
Delta 4 in. Plastic Splice Dust Collector Accessory-50-457 - The Home Depot

one of my old projects
copy_DSC01495.JPG

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BS laws everywhere! How could a 3 inch do anything more than a four inch. This is such an obvious let's make small scale mining unprofitable regulation and I'm sorry you have to step down your dredge as I have learned a lot from you and always check out your posts.

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in the Denver area and take my 5" dredge to Douglas Creek in Wyoming every year. I just tack weld 4 washers to the ring on my swivel nozzle and a 3/8" long piece of 3" pipe to those. It still lets me have the flow needed to use the 20" wide box and meets regulations by not allowing anything over 3" into my system. The best part is, I never get plugged.

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Polekaat, great suggestion! Hey as a side note which Club do you belong to for dredging access to Douglass creek. That is one at the top of my hit list. Pm me!! I'd really appreciate it!

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you can get a 4" ID to 3" OD exhaust pipe adapter and put it on the front of your power jet then hook your 3" hose to the front. you can hold it on with a flat band clamp or even tape it up with duct tape. that way its a quick change if you want to. I did this with a 5" jet that I put a 4" hose on

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks nj I'm actually doing almost exactly that! It really does suck that I got a downsize. Anything smaller than 4" feels like a garden hose now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread