GPAA Claims

rer613

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, have not been on the site in a long while and I posted this on another forum on Treasurenet. I want to join the GPAA but live in Florida (pensacola area) and was wanting to see where there are any GPAA gold claims are that are near my area, cannot seem to get much info. on the GPAA site without a membership, will join if I can get some info. on sites, I am retired and just purchased a small 2" dredge and would like to find places close to me other than the Alabama Gold Camp. The wife and me wanted to try some panning and dredging, that's why I purchased a small dredge. I do not know, searching the net, just how to find some private sites or claims we can dredge. I don't think there are any public sites around us to go to, any help out there?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't see the claims locations until you are a member. There are probably some current members who could answer for you, BUT I will tell you that mineral claims don't exist anywhere east of the rockies. There are places to mine, they are private land, or public land, but not "claims".

You posted this in the dredging/high banking so you should know that most of the claims they do have do NOT allow dredging or highbanking any longer. Of course, California has banned the whole motorized use near the water and in Colorado they simply refuse to go through the paperwork to allow motorized use on a club claim. I don't know about other locations.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I contacted GPAA's call center a couple of times over the years trying to get some general information - can't remember what now, but it wasn't that big a deal as I was a TOTAL newbie with no internet access at home. Ah, one of the questions was, if I became a member, would I then have access to purchase some of the Buzzard's old TV shows? Questions like that. I never got a reply to emails sent from the public library. When I called the number after getting no email reply, they refused to answer the question, or to even refer me to anyone else. They said I had to sign up before they could answer. EXCUSE ME??!!?? I have to PAY to find out the answer to such a question?? It was then that I knew I didn't want anything to do with them. Oh, and this all happened several years ago; like 5-8 years. (2 different contacts 2-3 years apart)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Mineral claims can be staked in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. I know of only one gold deposit in N Florida. There are multiple locations that I am aware of in Alabama. I never checked out Mississippi.

OP
OP
R

rer613

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again, can you give me the area in Fl. that you know about and if it is private and will they let individuals dredge there? or just detect? I have tried on the net to locate other land owners that might charge to search their creeks and rivers that run through the property around the central Alabama area.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The deposit in N Florida is on dry ground. Your best bet in Alabama would be at:

Alabama Gold Camp - Home

I think it's about $20 a day to dredge.

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA has a property in in west Georgia that active members can dredge on and another in east Ga. there is also pay to play places in North Ga, Alabama, North Carolina. you can find out more info on our chapters website; www.sgma-gpaa.org

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eastern states claims from the BLM Mining Claims

ratled

There are a few very small areas of public lands in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida where you could potentially locate mining claims but in fact there are only two active mining claims in all those States. Both those claims are in Florida and they were made for phosphate deposits before the the 1920 Mineral Leasing Act prevented future mining claims being made for phosphates.

You would be hard pressed to find any locatable minerals in those few public lands still open to location in those four states. It's probably best to go with the existing private properties and clubs that do offer a gold mining opportunity. At least you would stand a chance of going home with gold.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
R

rer613

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, thanks for the information, I am willing to travel some but how do you locate these private pay to play sitesI haven't had much luck looking on line.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I googled the terms "Georgia gold mines" and came up with several pay mines and mining clubs. I think perhaps you are entering poorly chosen search terms.

SierraMadre

Mar 29, 2015
Tex
Detector(s) used
Mine.lab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPAA has a lease on Beach Creek between Buchanan and Tallapoosa Ga. Some say nuggets there but I've only gotten fine flour gold there. A couple hours from Alabama Gold Camp. GPAA also has lease on Curvins Cow Pasture in Alabama

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I was at Alabama Gold Camp some years back when they first opened up and were still building the place and I had a great time back then and cant imagine anyone NOT enjoying it now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread