Converting Bazooka Gold Ttrap Miner sluice to high banker???

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Has anyone converted their bazooka Miner sluice to a highbanker?
As I recall Good Guy converted a smaller Bazooka. I have the 48" Miner and would like to try the same with it. A temporary conversion so I can switch it back to a stream sluice. I have had it for 3 yrs & never used it yet but as I stared at it yesterday & was playing with it & remembering it's bulk & what it weighed, I thought portability is NOT it's strong point & it might make a great highbanker.
If anyone has done it I would love to know what you used for a pump etc. PICTURES would be a HUGE help.
Good Guy, if you could direct me to your old thread it would be wonderful :-)

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't tried it personally but I have seen a youtube video of a very simple conversion I have been tempted to try.

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks!Q
Doesn't get much simpler than that!!!
I'm thinking of something MUCH more complicated :-)
Hopper with spray bars to provide flow over sluice, insert that goes in lower pickup with incoming water to supply water & pressure to slurry chamber, legs or stand...

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did something similar with my sniper a few years ago. I think I used it twice and I caught some gold but I didn't really test it a lot more. The bottom line is it takes a good amount of water but if you're going to be using a miner I expect you already know electric isn't probably a good option.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone converted their bazooka Miner sluice to a highbanker?
As I recall Good Guy converted a smaller Bazooka. I have the 48" Miner and would like to try the same with it. A temporary conversion so I can switch it back to a stream sluice. I have had it for 3 yrs & never used it yet but as I stared at it yesterday & was playing with it & remembering it's bulk & what it weighed, I thought portability is NOT it's strong point & it might make a great highbanker.
If anyone has done it I would love to know what you used for a pump etc. PICTURES would be a HUGE help.
Good Guy, if you could direct me to your old thread it would be wonderful :-)

No link sorry.
But it's a fairly simple conversion.

You will need to fabricate a 5 tube manifold to run water into the trap with it's own control valve.
or else figure out a way to make a removable water tight cover to close off the end of the scoop and install a control valve into it.
As far as the pump goes I used a 2" pump from harbor freight on mine which would also provide enough flow to run the 48" miner.

See if these photos give you a better idea.........
trap4.jpg manifold.jpg bazookbanker.jpg

gthb.jpg crutch handle.jpg

Please post photos of your conversion when finished.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I did something similar with my sniper a few years ago. I think I used it twice and I caught some gold but I didn't really test it a lot more. The bottom line is it takes a good amount of water but if you're going to be using a miner I expect you already know electric isn't probably a good option.

Thanks Owen! Again, much simpler than I had imagined but simple is good!!!

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
No link sorry.
But it's a fairly simple conversion.

You will need to fabricate a 5 tube manifold to run water into the trap with it's own control valve.
or else figure out a way to make a removable water tight cover to close off the end of the scoop and install a control valve into it.
I used a 2" pump from harbor freight on mine which would also provide enough flow to run the 48" miner.

See if these photos give you a better idea.........
View attachment 1887220 View attachment 1887222 View attachment 1887223

View attachment 1887219 View attachment 1887221

Please post photos of your conversion when finished.

GG~

GG, this is more what I was thinking and those are the pics I remember. Thank you!
I was thinking more of the removable cover to close off the end of the scoop. Easiest example being a 2x4 with tapered ends cut to fit tightly and held in with a couple screws. A hole cut in the center & a 2" floor flange with the proper fitting for the pressure hose to feed, or if I get fancy I can fabricate it some aluminum plate. Then a hopper assembly with spray bar so I have 3' of slickplate in the sluice with material classified down to .5" or so... Make sense?
Also, did you make any mods to the inside of your Kenne hopper? I have one on my A52 & have never been pleased with the design of the grizzly/spray bars.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, this is more what I was thinking and those are the pics I remember. Thank you!
I was thinking more of the removable cover to close off the end of the scoop. Easiest example being a 2x4 with tapered ends cut to fit tightly and held in with a couple screws. A hole cut in the center & a 2" floor flange with the proper fitting for the pressure hose to feed, or if I get fancy I can fabricate it some aluminum plate. Then a hopper assembly with spray bar so I have 3' of slickplate in the sluice with material classified down to .5" or so... Make sense?
Also, did you make any mods to the inside of your Kenne hopper? I have one on my A52 & have never been pleased with the design of the grizzly/spray bars.

Closing off the end of the scoop should allow for a more even flow into the fluidizing tubes once the compartment is filled :icon_thumright:
I experimented with several spray bar and grizzly arrangements including creating the hopper from scratch. I also created an attachment for dredging.

fail.jpg

Would not recommend dredging into any size Bazooka as the flow required to dredge would overwhelm the fluid bed and lead to scouring.
That is the problem I encountered with mine and was not able to solve it without a total redesign. Which led me to create the "super fluid bed high banker dredge" pictured below.....
fbc1.jpg fbc2.jpg

sfb1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I like that!!!

GG, so in your opinion is it a project worth the time or should I just modify the Hopper on my A52 highbanker (Build a replacement kind of like the Gold Gog & maybe install that cheap green rubber matt I bought because you bought it :-) ) or pursue this idea? Production/catch rates obviously being the primary criteria (right now I don't need any projects just for the projects sake.)?

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that!!!

GG, so in your opinion is it a project worth the time or should I just modify the Hopper on my A52 highbanker (Build a replacement kind of like the Gold Gog & maybe install that cheap green rubber matt I bought because you bought it :-) ) or pursue this idea? Production/catch rates obviously being the primary criteria (right now I don't need any projects just for the projects sake.)?

If you add the highbanker mods to the Bazooka you will be able to regulate the flow into your sluice and gold trap individually to fine tune your results. Comes in very handy when the water flow in the stream does not fit into the window of the Bazookas optimal performance range. Also you can run the Bazooka almost flat which enhances it's performance as well.

Personally, I believe that the 48"miner with the highbanker mods will out perform the A52 highbanker both in production as well as recovery. (even with the cheap green mat installed in the A52)

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
If you add the highbanker mods to the Bazooka you will be able to regulate the flow into your sluice and gold trap to fine tune your results. Comes in very handy when the water flow in the stream does not fit into the window of the Bazookas optimal performance range. Also you can run the Bazooka almost flat which enhances it's performance as well.

Personally, I believe that the 48"miner with the highbanker mods will out perform the A52 highbanker both in production as well as recovery. (even with the cheap green mat installed in the A52)

GG~

OK, you have given me a winter project :icon_thumright:
Only 5 months of winter left so I better get on it!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am the Mayor of Clog City.
The bus to Waste of Time ave. will be here shortly.:hello:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried it personally but I have seen a youtube video of a very simple conversion I have been tempted to try.

Running classified material smaller than the grizz...in a box designed to self classify....

Hey look at the crazy turbulence in the trap...I'm sure thats not blowing out gold at all:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread