Cook County FP metal detecting ban

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
This is in effect as of now. Show up there with a detector and you may face a fine. I know we all have places we've worked without incident for years and where the CCFPD LEO's are very friendly with us. A few more recent "rookies" have harrassed a few people in the last year or two but without citation.

Consider those days over. What we really need is due dilligence now, full compliance with existing laws, and to get in touch with and keep in touch with those people who are taking action. We will need to join in whatever effort we can to get these rules amended or removed.

Let's circle those wagons and work together in a rational response.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
I think it great that it's basically left to us to find out that it is illegal -- either by someone finding something obscurely posted on the internet on a semi-public site -or- by someone being fined for the first time...

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
C'mon Jon, if they ran a 24 hour news cycle on just the laws in place, we'd need three channels to get it out there in any given week.

I'm betting signs are being printed up as we speak, to add to the the lovely parade of signs already in place.

I'm hoping all those people who are content to just walk the designated trails, as they're told to do, well, no need hoping because they will stay in their cars, as told, when these places become the high holy places of the new modern eco-church and even the trails are no longer safe for "the environment".

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope they make up the signs saying no ass-bandits or mushroom hunting

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
I'm betting signs are being printed up as we speak, to add to the the lovely parade of signs already in place.

You know, now I miss the days of patronage where all of the signs said brought to you by 'insert politician', including the FP signs. I'd be nice to have all the prohibitions brought to you by ....

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
hope they make up the signs saying no ass-bandits or mushroom hunting
How do you know whether or not some of the people who tore the place up detecting and ruined it for everyone don't also fall into the above category?

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, now I miss the days of patronage where all of the signs said brought to you by 'insert politician', including the FP signs. I'd be nice to have all the prohibitions brought to you by ....
"Brought to you by 'diggers' and 'American Digger' TV shows.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
"Brought to you by 'diggers' and 'American Digger' TV shows.

Actually, it should be included, that and people who dig irresponsibly. But, I put most onus on politicians. Some drivers drive irresponsibly and kill others, but we don't make it a crime to drive on public roads because of the few morons in this world...

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting since 1985 and with all the hype about detecting on TV nowadays and now this crap..Whats next the city of Chicago? Been booted from the F P in the past without a problem but I'm not sure of that now....:BangHead:

Last edited:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Hopefully, some sense will come and there will be a permitting process, that does not restrict us to the parking lot... In the mean time friends, what will hurt us the most is people knowingly breaking this law. It will not help with good will from the powers that be. I know the crap in the park group gets sympathy and breaks laws flagrantly and are heralded as heros against the man, but, unless you are pro-government regulating everything (ie pro the man cloaked as anti-the man) then you don't get a pass for occupy behavior. So please don't occupy the forests and lets hope for a permit process.
The upside if we get permits is there would not be the instances from well meaning officials saying 'you can't do that here...'

needle n haystack

Dec 20, 2009
Northern, IL
Detector(s) used
Etrac / ctx 30/30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The club I am a member of has contacted the CCFP and the reason giving is........ Over the past year, the CCFPD has experienced a large number of problems with unfilled and improperly filled holes. The descriptive term "wreaked havoc" was used to describe the situation. Our club has sent out e-mails to all members asking them to abid by all laws and refrain from confrontation until more options can be worked out. Sounds like good advice we don't want add fuel to the fire.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people from other forums should be informed about this rule change. i know of, but don't associate with these pirates who are going into other fp's where detecting is illegal. i don't know how to download the rules to other forums or i would.

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
I know the joliet club had a special permit to detect in the mowed areas of certain preserves in Will county. No woods hunting was allowed when I was a member there but it was a step in the right direction.
Time will tell.
Makton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread