Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Rich, I'm new here and noticed your cleaned coin. Man, that puppy has been through it! What happened to it? Was it found in the ocean?

I once tried to clean some 18th century silver coins found on the bottom of the sea. I used electrolysis and only about 50% survived. Most just turned to black ash. Those that made it were extremely poor condition. The coins were Dutch made "Silver Riders" which are very thin coins to begin with.

I call electrolysis the great revealer. It lets you know the true condition of your coin. I think most copper coin cleaners today want to leave some crap on the coin to cover up its true condition. With silver it's probably better to do what you did. It has a sort of "piece of eight" look.

Good job.

Zeb

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that one turned out really good! if nothing else,those cookie coins have been a great educational tool to help people hone their electrosis skills.nice job!

F

Floater

That one turned out Great Rich. I just got My new Rectumrefryer :D and will be posting a few objects here in days to come. That one is good though. Did the Amonia brighten that well. ? I stopped trying to get them to look like silver. Every one I did I just ruined it completely. Great job. HH

OP
OP
Rich in Texas

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
Thanks guys! Considering the "cookie" effect on it I was very happy. I think the really low volt and current electrolysis is the most important factor. I quickly learned years ago that too much current will fry the coin. I used it just enough to loosen the casing on it and then let the ammonia do it's thing. Picked at it, then soaked it some more. Also alternated soaking it in white vinegar. I was happy to get most of the detail on the obverse to show. Getting to work on a coin like that is a thrill for me! I hope to get a chance to do something like that again! Very educational and good practice at saving a coin. All those years in salt water sure took it's toll. Floater, I am not sure that I even want to know what your Rectumrefryer does!! ::)
The ammonia does take a lot of the black off of it. The vinegar does well too.

Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread